This wild rice stuffing is filled with butternut squash, dried cherries and recent herbs. It’s a scrumptious gluten-free and vegan various to conventional stuffing and is the right addition to your vacation desk.
In the case of Thanksgiving dinner the edges have all the time been my favourite half. Nicely… perhaps dessert then the edges as a result of Thanksgiving desserts are severely the perfect. Conventional bread stuffing isn’t often my jam (though my sourdough stuffing is totally scrumptious!) however I can completely get down with some herby, wild rice stuffing. In all probability as a result of it’s much like grain bowls and grain-based salads, two issues I am keen on.
This explicit stuffing is sort of pretty as a result of the bottom is a wild rice mix with 5 various kinds of rice, which provides a nutty taste and a spread in texture. It’s additionally loaded with recent herbs, roasted squash and dried cherries for a number of flavors that complement each other.
Why You Must Strive This Recipe
- It’s gluten-free and vegan!
- It’s a more healthy various to conventional stuffing!
- Full of a great deal of taste and a wide range of textures!
Right here’s What You Want
- butternut squash – peeled and chopped into small chunks then roasted!
- olive oil – to sauté the veggies in. You should use no matter oil you favor, however I like to recommend olive oil or avocado oil. Butter or vegan butter is an effective various.
- garlic, celery and yellow onion – a savory base for the rice.
- sea salt and pepper – to season.
- wild rice mix – the star of the present! I really like the Lundberg Wild Mix Rice model.
- vegetable broth – the liquid to cook dinner the rice in. Cooking the rice in a broth as an alternative of water immediately amps up the flavour of this dish. Should you don’t want it to be vegetarian or vegan you need to use hen broth in case you choose. Should you don’t have broth available water will work, it simply gained’t add additional taste!
- bay leaf, recent sage and recent thyme – deliciously harmonious herbs to taste this dish.
- dried candy cherries – provides a scrumptious trace of sweetness to this recipe and so they’re filled with antioxidants and vitamins! Dried cranberries are a terrific substitute. I simply advocate grabbing dried fruit that’s fruit-sweetened as an alternative of with cane sugar.
The best way to Make Wild Rice Stuffing
Put together butternut squash: To start out, preheat your oven to 400ºF. Chop your butternut squash into chunks and place them on a baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and toss to mix. Roast the butternut squash for about half-hour (tossing about quarter-hour via) or till the chunks are fork-tender.
Prepare dinner rice: Whereas the squash is roasting, warmth oil in a Dutch oven over medium warmth. Add celery, onion and garlic to the pan and add sea salt and pepper. Sauté collectively for about 10 minutes. Add the wild rice, broth, bay leaf, and half of the sage and thyme and stir to mix. Carry the combination to a boil after which cowl, scale back to a simmer, and cook dinner for 40-45 minutes, or till the liquid is absorbed by the rice.
Serve: As soon as the rice is cooked, take away the pan from warmth and take away the bay leaf. Let the rice combination cool for about 5 minutes then stir in cherries, roasted squash and reserved sage and thyme. Style and season with extra salt and pepper if wanted and revel in!
- Swap the grain – in case you aren’t a wild rice fan or don’t have any available I guess this stuffing would nonetheless be scrumptious with white or brown rice. Should you’re searching for a stuffing recipe with quinoa you need to strive my butternut squash quinoa stuffing recipe.
- Swap the butternut squash – you might substitute the butternut squash with any hearty winter squash like Acorn squash or Kabocha squash. Candy potato can be one other nice various.
- Add nuts – chopped nuts like almonds, walnuts or pecans can be scrumptious on this stuffing recipe!
- Add veggies – need to add extra veggies? Go for it! Carrots or mushrooms can be my prime selections.
- Swap the dried fruit – don’t have dried cherries available or can’t discover them on the retailer? Use dried cranberries or dried figs. Should you’re searching for a recent fruit choice chopped apples or pomegranate arils would add some freshness and be scrumptious on this stuffing!
- Searching for a extra conventional stuffing? Should you’re like Isaac and like extra of a conventional stuffing with bread strive my sourdough stuffing. It’s so good (and I’m not even a basic stuffing particular person)!
What to Serve With Wild Rice Stuffing
Should you’re in the course of planning your Thanksgiving menu this 12 months, let me encourage you! I extremely advocate skipping the standard bread stuffing and making this stuffing recipe as an alternative. I believe you and your loved ones will like it! Serve alongside:
The best way to Retailer
This recipe is nice for making forward of time to release prep time to your vacation meal! Simply put together as instructed after which hold coated within the fridge. While you’re able to serve, heat within the oven at 350ºF for 10-20 minutes or till the rice is heat.
Leftovers (if there are any!) will hold in an hermetic container within the fridge for 3-4 days. I haven’t tried freezing it, however I guess this stuffing would freeze effectively. Simply let it cool fully and retailer it in a freezer-safe container within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Let it thaw within the fridge in a single day and reheat within the oven.
Extra Vacation Facet Dishes
Make sure you try the complete assortment of vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes in addition to all the facet dishes on EBF!
Wild Rice Stuffing
This wild rice stuffing is filled with butternut squash, dried cherries and recent herbs. It is a scrumptious gluten-free and vegan various to conventional stuffing and is the right addition to your vacation desk.
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil or avocado oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups wild rice mix
- 4 cups vegetable or hen broth
- 2 Tablespoons chopped recent sage, divided
- 2 teaspoon recent thyme, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dried candy cherries
- sea salt and pepper, to style
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Place butternut squash chunks on a baking sheet with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and toss to mix. Roast for about half-hour, or till butternut squash is tender. Tossing as soon as across the 15 minute mark.
Whereas squash is roasting, cook dinner rice. Warmth oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high warmth. Add celery, onion and garlic to the pan; toss and add 1 teaspoon sea salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Sauté for about 10 minutes. Stir in wild rice, broth, 1 Tablespoon sage, 1 teaspoon thyme and bay leaf. Carry combination to a boil.
Cowl, scale back warmth to a simmer and cook dinner for 40-45 minutes, or till liquid is absorbed. Take away from warmth. Toss and take away bay leaf, then let the rice cool for about 5 minutes.
Stir in cherries, roasted squash and reserved sage and thyme. Style and season with extra salt and pepper if wanted.
Serving: 1/2 cup Energy: 295kcal Carbohydrates: 56g Protein: 5g Fats: 5g Saturated Fats: 1g Monounsaturated Fats: 3g Sodium: 383mg Potassium: 288mg Fiber: 6g Sugar: 13g
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please go away a remark and star score on this submit and share on social media utilizing the hashtag #eatingbirdfood. I really like seeing your recipe shares!
This submit could embody affiliate hyperlinks. Thanks to your assist.