These crunchy protein bars mix brown rice cereal and rolled oats with honey, coconut, peanut butter and protein powder for a scrumptious, wholesome snack that tastes identical to the Luna Bars! Gluten-free, dairy-free + good for meal prep!
One in all my favourite store-bought bars is the Chocolate Dipped Coconut Luna Bar. I’ve been eager to strive my hand at making a home made model however was intimated by the ingredient record as a result of it’s somewhat lengthy.
After some analysis I discovered that Katie from Chocolate Coated Katie had made a home made model, so utilizing her recipe as inspiration I went to work within the kitchen. The top consequence was these crunchy protein bars that I’m sharing at this time, which is my tackle the Chocolate Dipped Coconut model.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The combo of chocolate, peanut butter + coconut = chef’s kiss!
- Cheaper than store-bought snack bars!
- Simple to make with solely 10 easy elements.
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, naturally sweetened and may simply be made nut-free.
- They’re no-bake + good for meal prep.
- Good for an on-the-go snack or post-workout deal with.
Making More healthy Luna Bars
Whereas the Luna bars are scrumptious and the comfort is good, they’re made with numerous not-so-good-for-you and pointless elements like soy flour, rice flour, soy lecithin, sunflower oil, palm oil, vegetable glycerin, soy protein isolate, palm kernel solids and synthetic flavors.
To simplify issues I made these bars with 10 easy real-food elements which you can truly pronounce like honey, rolled oats, peanut butter, shredded coconut and cocoa powder. No added sugars, synthetic sweeteners or pure flavorings over right here!
- crispy brown rice cereal – what provides the crunch to those bars! This can be a gluten-free crispy cereal produced from entire grain brown rice. You will discover this within the cereal aisle at well being meals shops. Some manufacturers to search for: 365 by Entire Meals, One Diploma and Nature’s Path.
- quaint oats – offers the bottom for these bars and provides a chewy texture. They’re additionally a great supply of fiber! Be sure to seize gluten-free oats if wanted. I exploit Bob’s Purple Mill gluten-free rolled oats.
- shredded coconut – be certain to seize unsweetened shredded coconut. My favourite model is Bob’s Purple Mill unsweetened shredded coconut.
- vanilla protein powder – I used the Solar Warrior Vanilla Warrior Mix for this recipe, which labored nice! It’s vegan, soy-free, sugar-free and doesn’t style chalky in any respect! One other fave of mine is the Nuzest protein powder.
- cocoa powder – Be sure to’re utilizing unsweetened cocoa powder. Cacao powder works as effectively.
- honey – the glue that holds these bars collectively!
- creamy peanut butter – helps to bind all the things collectively. Plus, it’s a great supply of protein. You wish to use pure, drippy peanut butter not a thick peanut butter unfold. I often go for the shop model and skim the label to verify it has only one or two elements, the nuts and salt. A few of my favourite manufacturers are the Wild Mates peanut butter and 365 natural creamy peanut butter.
- coconut oil – acts as a moisturizer, serving to to maintain the bars from changing into dry and crumbly.
- vanilla extract – a beautiful taste enhancer.
- darkish chocolate chips – I like to recommend Take pleasure in Life mini chocolate chips that are allergen-friendly or Lily’s chocolate chips as a result of they’re low in sugar and energy.
Crunchy Protein Bars Substitutions
- Brown rice cereal: Should you can’t discover brown rice cereal you should use common crispy rice cereal.
- Peanut butter: Should you’re allergic to peanuts or just don’t have any available, you should use one other sort of nut or seed butter as a substitute. Almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter or tahini are all nice choices.
- Coconut: Be happy to skip the coconut shreds should you don’t have any available. I’d simply add extra rolled oats instead of the coconut.
- Honey: I haven’t tried an alternative choice to the honey, however I wager maple syrup will work simply superb!
- Coconut oil: Be happy to make use of one other impartial oil as a substitute of coconut oil like avocado oil or olive oil.
Pulse: Add cereal and oatmeal to a small meals processor and pulse just a few occasions till the cereal is chopped up. Don’t course of it an excessive amount of or else you’ll find yourself with flour.
Stir dry elements: Place cereal and oat combination in a big mixing bowl and add within the coconut, protein powder and cocoa powder. Put aside.
Mix moist elements: Add the honey, peanut butter, coconut oil and vanilla to a small saucepan on medium-low warmth. Stir combination and warmth till all the things is melted and mixed, about 2 minutes. Pour over the dry elements and stir very effectively, ensuring to coat all the things.
Press and chill: Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and unfold the combination evenly into the pan. Place a sheet of parchment paper on high of the combination, then press down as firmly as you may together with your fingers. Actually press it down! Place the bars within the freezer to arrange for not less than an hour earlier than slicing.
Soften chocolate: As soon as bars are agency, add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl and warmth in 30-second intervals till melted. Whereas chocolate is melting, minimize set combination into 12 even bars.
Dip and set: As soon as chocolate has absolutely melted, dip the underside of every bar into the chocolate and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle the highest of the bars with chocolate and chill within the fridge or freezer till chocolate has set.
After these crunchy protein bars have set, minimize and retailer them in an hermetic container (like a Stasher bag or glass container) within the fridge for 1 week or within the freezer for as much as 3 months. I prefer to retailer them after being minimize in order that they’re able to seize and go! Should you do freeze them, simply thaw them within the fridge or at room temperature earlier than having fun with them.
Extra Bar Recipes to Attempt
Serving: 1 bar | Energy: 101kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 2g | Fats: 4g | Saturated Fats: 3g | Sodium: 11mg | Potassium: 37mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g
Vitamin data is mechanically calculated, so ought to solely be used as an approximation.