This vegetarian hash brown breakfast casserole is loaded with greens and tacky goodness and has a hash brown crust. It’s the right wholesome breakfast dish to serve a crowd.
Christmas is true across the nook and for those who’re planning an epic brunch unfold, I’ve the right dish for you: hash brown breakfast casserole!
I really like my sausage egg casserole, however I needed to create a vegetarian egg casserole and if I do say so myself, this one hits the spot! It’s filled with a great deal of veggies and tacky goodness and has probably the most scrumptious crispy hash brown crust.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Jam-packed with a number of veggies and tacky goodness!
- Fancy sufficient for a vacation breakfast, but in addition easy sufficient to make on Sunday as a part of your weekly meal prep.
- Completely customizable… be at liberty to swap the veggies or cheese or add meat.
- Feeds a crowd and might simply be made upfront.
- Gluten-free + vegetarian.
- shredded hash browns – I’ve made this casserole with each frozen shredded hash browns and freshly shredded hash browns and I most well-liked the model with the frozen hash browns. It was simpler and the crust crisped up higher when cooking. Should you go the route of shredding your personal potatoes, I like to recommend utilizing russet potatoes and utilizing a paper towel to take away as a lot of the moisture within the potatoes as potential to forestall the crust from being delicate and soggy.
- olive oil – helps the hash browns to crisp up whereas baking and for sautéing and veggies. Avocado oil is a good substitute.
- veggies – I used a combo of sautéed peppers, onions, garlic, mushrooms and spinach for the veggies, however be at liberty to make use of no matter veggies you could have available! Broccoli, kale and/or zucchini would all be nice veggie choices.
- eggs – can’t have a breakfast casserole with out eggs! I used 10 full eggs for this recipe, however be at liberty to do half liquid egg whites if you wish to lighten this dish up a bit.
- non-dairy milk – any milk (dairy or non-dairy) will work, however I really like utilizing almond milk to maintain issues gentle. Retailer-bought or home made almond milk will work. Simply be sure you’re utilizing unsweetened almond milk!
- salt & pepper – gotta have these two for taste!
- cheddar cheese – provides some saltiness and creaminess to this dish! I used a block of natural sharp cheddar cheese and shredded it myself, which I extremely advocate! Should you want this dish to be dairy-free you may skip the cheese or use a dairy-free possibility. Dietary yeast would even be a pleasant addition for some tacky taste with out the cheese!
How you can Make
Bake hash browns: Preheat the oven to 400°F and spray a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Add shredded potatoes to the baking dish and drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with a splash of salt and pepper. Bake for half-hour, till potatoes begin to brown and crisp up. When you pull potatoes from the oven, press down with a spatula to assist type the underside crust extra.
Sauté veggies: Whereas potatoes bake, add 2 teaspoons of oil to a big skillet over medium warmth and add onion, garlic, bell pepper and mushrooms. Cook dinner for 7-10 minutes or till all of the liquid from the mushrooms have evaporated. Add spinach with salt and pepper and stir till wilted. As soon as prepared, take off warmth and put aside to chill.
Mix: Whisk eggs and milk collectively in a big bowl. As soon as the veggies are cool, add them to the egg combination with the cheddar cheese. Stir to mix, and pour your complete combination into the baking dish on high of the hash browns.
Bake: High off with a further ½ cup of cheddar cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes till set and eggs are not jiggly. Let stand for five minutes, serve and revel in!
How you can Know When an Egg Casserole is Accomplished
The benefit of this breakfast casserole is that you just pre-cook virtually all the elements earlier than baking the ultimate product. The one factor that basically must prepare dinner within the oven are the eggs! You do need to ensure the eggs are absolutely cooked and there are a couple of methods to verify that:
- Eyeball it. The least exact of the three… clearly. The eggs will likely be set within the heart aka not jiggly. Once more, very official manner of understanding, however I really use this methodology lots!
- Insert a knife into the middle. If the knife comes out clear, meaning the eggs are absolutely cooked via! If it comes out just a little goopy, the eggs must prepare dinner longer. All the time verify within the heart of the casserole as a result of the dish will bake from the surface > in.
- Use a thermometer. Essentially the most exact methodology to understanding if the casserole is completed! Insert the thermometer within the heart of the casserole – if it reads 160ºF or above, your casserole is completed!
- For the very best outcomes use frozen, pre-shredded hash browns. It will lead to a extra crispy crust!
- Be certain to press the hash browns down with a spatula or spoon instantly after eradicating them from the oven. It will assist to type the crust extra.
- Be certain veggies have had time to chill off earlier than including them to the eggs, in any other case your eggs will begin to prepare dinner!
- Skip the store-bought pre-shredded cheese and use hand-shredded cheese! I undoubtedly advocate shopping for a block of cheese and grating it your self. Contemporary is at all times higher and shredding the cheese takes no time in any respect. The pre-shredded store-bought cheeses usually comprise preservatives like potato starch, natamycin and/or cellulose to forestall the shreds from clumping collectively within the bag. It will stop your cheese from melting correctly and can probably result in extra of a grainy style/texture.
- Should you’re quick on time you don’t essentially must sauté the veggies, however I like the additional taste it provides and the veggies are a bit softer.
- When sautéing the veggies, the mushrooms will launch moisture, so ensure to prepare dinner them till the surplus liquid has evaporated in any other case you might find yourself with a soggy casserole.
What to Serve With Hash Brown Casserole
This hash brown breakfast casserole could be such an incredible brunch addition! Listed below are some meals that might pair effectively with this dish:
How you can Retailer Leftovers
This hash brown casserole is nice for meal prep. Right here’s how you can make it forward of time and reheat it:
Within the fridge: After permitting the breakfast casserole to chill fully, cowl and retailer leftovers within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
Within the freezer: Let the casserole cool fully then potion it out into particular person items and retailer within the freezer for as much as 3 months.
To reheat: You’ll be able to both use the microwave, oven or toaster oven to reheat the casserole. I desire the microwave or toaster oven for particular person items and the oven for reheating your complete casserole! If reheating from frozen, let the casserole thaw within the fridge in a single day earlier than reheating.
Extra Egg Recipes
Fashionable Breakfast Recipes
Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
This vegetarian hash brown breakfast casserole is loaded with greens and tacky goodness and has a hash brown crust. It is the right wholesome breakfast dish to serve a crowd.
- 1 20 oz bag shredded frozen hash browns, about 4-5 cups shredded
- 3 teaspoons olive or avocado oil, divided
- ½ yellow onion onion, 1 cup
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 purple bell pepper, chopped
- 1 8 oz bundle mushrooms, chopped
- 1 5 oz bag of child spinach
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus extra to style
- ½ teaspoon floor black pepper, plus extra to style
- 10 eggs
- ½ cup non-dairy milk, I used unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Serving: 1/8 recipe Energy: 213kcal Carbohydrates: 18g Protein: 12g Fats: 10g Saturated Fats: 3g Polyunsaturated Fats: 2g Monounsaturated Fats: 4g Ldl cholesterol: 238mg Sodium: 464mg Potassium: 537mg Fiber: 3g Sugar: 3g
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please go away a remark and star score on this put up and share on social media utilizing the hashtag #eatingbirdfood. I really like seeing your recipe shares!
This put up could embrace affiliate hyperlinks. Thanks on your help.