I’m squeaking in earlier than our Canadian Thanksgiving weekend to share this gem of a banana bread recipe with you all. I figured it could make the right addition to your weekend breakfast desk! We’ve been making this banana bread for weeks and weeks (you will have seen this recipe added to the app final month, too!), and it’s grow to be nothing in need of an obsession. (Reality be advised, I’ve to cover it from Adriana some days as a result of it’s all she desires to eat. Okay, okay, I’ve to cover it from myself, too.) I’ve had some nice suggestions from children and adults outdoors the Liddon family as properly.
Over time, I’ve examined oodles of vegan banana bread recipes and by no means settled on one which I believed was “it”. Too dense, too dry, too moist, missing banana flavour, too candy, not candy sufficient, and so on. It drove me nuts. Every time, I’d tweak my recipe a bit extra. However that is The One, my associates. It’s loopy to suppose that, in 8 years, that is my very first vegan banana bread recipe on the weblog. Effectively, sufficient is sufficient, I say!
The prep time is extremely quick and entails only one bowl—you possibly can have it baking away within the oven in solely 10 to fifteen minutes! It freezes properly too, so it’s an ideal recipe to make prematurely earlier than the vacations. I made a loaf for the freezer a pair weeks in the past, forgot about it (hey, preggo mind), and located it yesterday as I used to be rooting by the freezer searching for treats. “OMG, Eric, I discovered a loaf of banana bread within the freezer!!” It was like Christmas morning. And since we don’t have a microwave and I’m not affected person sufficient to thaw it within the oven, I ate a slice fully frozen. Unhappy, however true.
I don’t suppose I’m alone in my obsession, although. See what weblog reader, Laurie, wrote about it:
“Everybody raves about my banana bread however I’ve at all times hated it as a result of it’s made with white flour and sugar. My children (daughter a couple of yr in the past and son simply this week) went vegan. I’ve been making vegan BB for some time however nothing to put in writing residence about…till now! That is higher than my common banana bread – I’ll by no means return!”
To freeze the banana bread, I merely permit it to chill fully, then wrap it in plastic wrap, adopted by a layer of tinfoil. When you plan to retailer it for greater than per week, I’d advocate popping the wrapped loaf right into a freezer bag, too. My mother made us a pair loaves whereas she was right here, and we loved a slice (or two) day by day till they have been each gone! I can’t consider a greater consolation meals proper now.
I’ve examined this loaf utilizing entire spelt flour, mild/white spelt flour, and common all-purpose flour. My favorite was mild/white spelt flour and second favorite was entire spelt flour. The common all-purpose flour model labored too, nevertheless it wasn’t fairly as flavourful. There’s simply one thing I like concerning the nutty, healthful flavour of spelt. I count on that different flours, corresponding to entire wheat pastry flour, ought to work, however I’ve but to check any extra out. I believe that 100% entire wheat flour is likely to be too drying because it’s fairly dense/hearty, however perhaps a 50/50 all-purpose/entire wheat flour break up is likely to be okay. When it comes to a gluten-free model, I’ll be sure you share the recipe if I land on a combo of gluten-free flours that I like. When you attempt something out, please tell us the way it goes within the feedback!
And eventually, on a non-banana-bread-related observe, right here’s a roundup of the newest #osgeveryday weblog tour posts, which embrace some nice giveaways and recipe sneak peeks. Because of all of those fantastic bloggers for his or her help!
This vegan banana bread is scrumptious, healthful, naturally sweetened, and takes 10 minutes to throw collectively. What could possibly be higher when you will have some overripe bananas to make use of up? Nothing, my associates, completely nothing! Whip this into the oven earlier than visitors arrive to fill the home with a tasty banana bread aroma. For a enjoyable twist, attempt including cinnamon and nutmeg into the dough earlier than baking, and even stir in some chocolate chips or chopped darkish chocolate for a extra decadent loaf. I adore it topped with each sliced banana (which boosts the sweetness and banana flavour) and crunchy walnuts. This recipe is customized from my Blissful Banana Blueberry Muffins.
For the moist elements:
- 1 1/3 cups (320 g) mashed very ripe banana (about 4 medium or 3 giant)
- 2 tablespoons (15 g) floor flaxseed
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) plant-based milk (I like almond milk)
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) coconut oil, melted*
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) pure maple syrup**
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
For the dry elements:
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (60 g) coconut sugar***
- 1/2 cup (50 g) rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon high-quality sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups (210 g) mild/white spelt flour or whole-grain spelt flour****
- Sliced banana, chopped walnuts, and/or chocolate chips, for topping (optionally available)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Evenly spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with oil and put aside.
- In a big bowl, mash the banana till nearly easy, and be sure you have 1 1/3 cups.
- Stir the moist elements (floor flax, milk, melted oil, maple syrup, and vanilla) into the banana till mixed.
- Stir the dry elements (sugar, oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour) into the moist combination, one after the other, within the order listed. Cease stirring when there aren’t any flour patches on the backside of the bowl.
- Spoon the dough into the loaf pan and unfold out evenly. Add your required toppings and gently press them into the dough to stick.
- Bake the loaf, uncovered, for 45 to 55 minutes (I bake for 47 to 48 minutes, however your time might range), till calmly golden and agency on high. The highest of the loaf ought to slowly spring again when touched.
- Place the loaf pan on a cooling rack for half-hour. Then, slide a knife across the loaf to loosen it and gently take away it from the pan, putting it straight onto the cooling rack till fully cooled (or to hasten the cooling course of, switch to the fridge for 45 minutes).
- Slice the loaf as soon as cooled. I like to unfold it with vegan butter or coconut oil. The loaf will maintain within the fridge tightly wrapped for 3 to 4 days, or it may be frozen for 4 to six weeks.
- * I’ve not tried it but, however you possibly can in all probability swap melted vegan butter for the coconut oil.
- ** When you don’t have any maple syrup readily available, be at liberty to swap in one other 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar. The loaf gained’t be fairly as moist, nevertheless it’ll nonetheless work.
- *** Coconut sugar can in all probability be swapped for pure cane sugar.
- **** I attempted this recipe with mild/white spelt flour, all-purpose white flour, and whole-grain spelt flour. My desire is mild/white spelt flour as a result of it lends an ideal flavour whereas nonetheless feeling fairly mild in texture. The entire-grain spelt flour model is my second favorite; it’s heartier in texture than the sunshine/white spelt flour model (and cracks extra on the highest of the loaf), with a barely earthier flavour. It doesn’t rise as a lot, although, and is extra dense. In case your whole-grain spelt flour is kind of coarse, I like to recommend sifting it prior to make use of for the very best outcomes.
(click on to broaden)
Final however not least, thanks a lot for Arlo’s heat welcome and congrats! We’re all settling in properly and absorbing these new child days.