You’ve most likely seen the meal prep development on-line the place dozens and dozens of meals are prepped in containers for the whole week? Holy moly. I can say that may most likely by no means be me. I as soon as tried an over-ambitious meal prep and never solely did I find yourself with means an excessive amount of meals, nevertheless it took up most of my day.
On the flip aspect, I’ve realized that my veggie consumption falls fairly flat after I don’t do any prep in any respect.
Soooo….there needs to be a contented medium!?
This little dilemma is precisely why I got here up with a easy plan that absolutely matches into my life lately. The recipe under (which is completely customizable!) takes lower than 30 minutes of energetic prep time, however makes sufficient meals for a number of parts, rising the percentages that you simply’ll be a veggie powerhouse for the workweek. *arm flex* I like how I can rapidly reheat a pair issues and construct a hearty, nutritious bowl in a matter of minutes!
My meal prep methodology has been going like this:
- Roast two big sheets of veggies
- Cook dinner a grain
- Chop a pair recent veggies (generally I skip this if I’m tight on time)
- Have toppings readily available, ready-to-roll—issues like avocado, nuts/seeds, beans, dressing, and many others.
This methodology has dramatically modified my meals in current weeks (particularly, lunches) and elevated my veggie consumption a ton. All the components might be modified up so it by no means needs to be repetitive and you’ll be versatile with utilizing what you have got in your fridge/pantry. It helps reduce down waste as a result of you possibly can simply dissipate these “on the verge of dying” veggies in your crisper. Simply throw ‘em within the oven and roast the heck out of ‘em! And if you happen to get uninterested in bowls, throw the prepped meals into scrumptious wraps and even soups/stews.
In the event you’re feeling extra-ambitious and need to prep much more meals, I’d suggest including a number of of the next tasty gadgets:
I’ve supplied an in depth recipe under as a result of it helps to have one thing to work from the primary time, however like I mentioned, be at liberty to run with it. In the event you merely decide to roasting 2 huge sheets of veggies, cook dinner a grain, and chop some recent veggies….you’ll be nicely in your option to making straightforward throw-together energy bowls all week lengthy. My future hangry self has been thanking me loads.
I like having prepped meals within the fridge, however don’t love doing hours of meal prep every week. So I got here up with this easy methodology that takes simply 25 minutes of energetic prep time. The wholesome meals elements might be loved for a number of days in energy bowls, wraps, and even stirred into soups! Energy bowls are so enjoyable for household meals as a result of you possibly can swap up the veggies and toppings to go well with every palate, giving children management to construct their very own bowls. This recipe can be a helpful make-ahead possibility if you happen to’re having associates over for a meal. Merely chop all of the veggies the night time earlier than and refrigerate them in containers. Simply earlier than your friends arrive, pop the veggies into the oven, cook dinner the quinoa, and prep the toppings. After cooking, you possibly can all have enjoyable assembling your individual energy bowls and everybody can be tremendous impressed by the beautiful rainbow-coloured meal!
For the roasted veggies:
- 3 small (680 g) candy potatoes, peeled and chopped (4 cups)
- 4 cups (500 g) brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved*
- 1 medium (800 g) cauliflower, chopped into small florets (4 heaping cups)
- 1 medium (230 g) pink onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 massive (500 g) pink bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to style
For the quinoa:
- 2 cups (400 g) raw quinoa**
For the recent veggies:
- 1 medium (370 g) English cucumber, chopped
- 1 medium (135 g) bunch inexperienced onions, chopped
- 2 cups (255 g) grape tomatoes (1 dry pint)
For the facility bowl toppings:
- Chopped lettuce/greens (Romaine, Iceberg, kale, and many others)
- Salad dressing***
- Ripe avocados
- Cooked beans or lentils
- Nuts and seeds (I exploit hemp hearts and roasted pepitas)
- Hummus or pesto
- Place two oven racks close to the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line two extra-large (15- x 21-inches) rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. It’s essential to make use of extra-large baking sheets so there’s sufficient room for all these wholesome veggies.
- Divide the chopped, “to-be-roasted” veggies onto the baking sheets. Drizzle 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil over high every sheet and toss the veggies till they’re totally coated within the oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast the veggies for 30 to 40 minutes (I discover 35 minutes is ideal in my oven for frivolously charred veggies) till fork tender and golden. There’s no must rotate/transfer the pans or flip the veggies midway via baking except you’re specific about even cooking.
- Whereas the veggies are roasting, add the quinoa to a big pot together with 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) water. Stir. Convey to a simmer over medium-high warmth, then instantly cut back the warmth to low-medium, cowl with a tight-fitting lid, and cook dinner for 12 to 14 minutes, till the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy. Take away the lid and fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork.
- Whereas the quinoa cooks, chop the cucumber and inexperienced onions. Rinse the tomatoes (I maintain off slicing them till simply earlier than serving).
- Take away the roasted veggies from the oven. As soon as largely cool, switch the entire veggies and quinoa into containers, seal with hermetic lids, and place into the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- To make the facility bowls: Add a pair beneficiant handfuls of chopped lettuce/greens to the underside of a giant shallow bowl. Drizzle with a little bit of dressing and toss the lettuce/greens till coated. Prime with spoonfuls of your prepped meals (quinoa, roasted and recent veggies)—I all the time heat up the quinoa and roasted veggies first! Now, add diced avocado, extra salad dressing, cooked beans or lentils, nuts and seeds, and hummus or pesto. Preserve the facility bowl flavours attention-grabbing by changing up the toppings every day!
* In case your brussels sprouts are fairly massive, quarter them as an alternative of halving.
** In the event you do not assume you may eat this a lot quinoa in 4 to five days, be at liberty to halve this quantity (use 1 cup raw quinoa + 1.75 cups water).
*** Searching for a scrumptious selfmade dressing? Attempt my Lemon-Tahini Dressing, Shake-and-Go Balsamic French dressing (Oh She Glows Each Day, p. 273), or Roasted Garlic and Pink Wine French dressing. I all the time maintain Maison Orphee Italian readily available when I haven’t got selfmade dressing prepped.
Be at liberty to roast a head of garlic together with the veggies. The roasted cloves are particularly scrumptious thrown into my Roasted Garlic and Pink Wine French dressing present in my Heat + Roasted Winter Salad Bowl recipe.
Make it nut-free: Prime your bowl with seeds (equivalent to roasted pepita seeds and hemp hearts) as an alternative of nuts and ensure your dressing is nut-free.
(click on to develop)