This egg roll in a bowl combines floor turkey with coleslaw combine and coconut aminos for a wholesome meal that has taste just like an egg roll, minus the fried wrap.
You’re in for a deal with with this recipe! Should you like the flavour of egg rolls, however prefer to hold issues wholesome and keep away from fried meals, you’re going to like this easy egg roll in a bowl. It’s principally all of the fillings you’d sometimes discover in an egg roll, cooked and served up as a bowl meal.
I like a great bowl meal and this one undoubtedly doesn’t disappoint. It’s a breeze to whip up (lower than 30 minutes) and so flavorful!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Has all of the flavors of egg rolls minus the fried dough!
- Comes collectively in underneath half-hour!
- Nice for meal prep!
- Low-carb, gluten-free and might simply be made vegetarian or vegan!
- floor turkey or floor rooster – the protein on this recipe is lean floor turkey or floor rooster. Simply use whichever possibility you could have available. They each work nice!
- contemporary garlic – contemporary garlic is essential right here for optimum taste. After all you possibly can take a shortcut methodology and purchase peeled garlic, jarred minced garlic or frozen crushed garlic cubes. I simply wouldn’t advocate swapping the contemporary garlic for garlic powder.
- contemporary ginger – contemporary ginger offers this dish the perfect taste. Mince the ginger your self or purchase frozen ginger cubes for simpler prep. I all the time have them within the freezer.
- greens – onion, coleslaw combine and inexperienced onions. The shop-bought coleslaw combine is what makes this recipe really easy! You should use broccoli slaw as a substitute of a cabbage-based slaw, however I want the cabbage one!
- toasted sesame oil – this provides a nutty taste to the dish. I extremely advocate utilizing sesame oil however in pinch you need to use another choice in your pantry like olive oil or avocado oil.
- coconut aminos – coconut aminos are a salty fermented sauce just like soy sauce however comprised of coconut. They’ve a barely sweeter taste that I like. That stated, be at liberty to make use of low-sodium tamari for a gluten-free possibility or low-sodium soy sauce if that’s what you could have in your fridge!
- sambal oelek – additionally known as Huy Fong chili paste or garlic chili sauce, this spicy condiment is a mainstay in Asian cooking. You will discover it on the worldwide aisle at your grocery retailer. Should you don’t have sambal oelek you need to use sriracha as a substitute. Should you don’t need the dish to be spicy in any respect, merely omit it! Should you like extra taste and spice, you possibly can add extra. I personally like including 2-4 teaspoons.
- sriracha – really helpful for serving, however non-compulsory!
How you can Make
Cook dinner meat: Brown floor turkey or rooster in a big skillet. Break meat into smaller items because it cooks utilizing a picket spoon or spatula and season liberally with salt and pepper. Cook dinner for about 6-8 minutes or till the meat is not pink. Take away from warmth and switch to a bowl.
Cook dinner veggies: In the identical skillet over medium warmth, add sesame oil. As soon as sizzling, add onion, garlic and ginger and cook dinner till aromatic, about 3-5 minutes. Add coleslaw combine into the skillet. Toss and add coconut aminos and sambal oelek. Cook dinner for one more 3-5 minutes or till cabbage is tender. Add cooked meat again to the pan. Style and add extra coconut aminos or sambal, if wanted.
Serve: Portion into bowls and high every with inexperienced onions and a drizzle of sriracha, sesame seeds and cilantro. Be at liberty to serve over cooked cauliflower rice for extra quantity and veggies.
The place Are the Eggs?
Egg rolls get their identify from the outer layer, which is a fried wrapper that has egg within the dough. There are not any precise eggs within the stuffing of egg rolls. That stated, you possibly can completely scramble an egg into this combination for those who’d like! It should add extra protein and a little bit of egg taste. Simply add the egg once you add the cooked meat again to the pan and toss till the egg is cooked by way of.
Customise Your Egg Roll Bowl
Be at liberty to make this egg roll bowl your personal!
- Wish to add extra greens? Go for it! Some concepts embrace frozen peas or corn, shredded carrots, chopped mushrooms and/or finely sliced bell peppers. Choose your favorites and add them in!
- Vegetarian possibility – use scrambled eggs or crumbled tofu or tempeh for a vegan possibility.
- Completely different protein – I want to make use of a lean protein like floor turkey or rooster, however you need to use floor pork or floor beef if that’s what you could have available.
Ideas and Methods for Straightforward Prep
- Pace up the prep: Bagged coleslaw combine makes this recipe really easy to whip up, however another comfort objects that save time embrace jarred minced garlic or frozen crushed garlic cubes, in addition to, frozen crushed ginger! You could possibly even purchase pre-chopped onion for those who actually wish to save time.
- Meal prep: You may completely meal prep this recipe by making it as is or doubling it for extra servings. Cook dinner it fully and retailer particular person servings in hermetic containers. It’s a straightforward meal to convey to work or warmth up for a busy weeknight. If I’m being sincere, I’ve additionally eaten it chilly, straight from the fridge.
Toppings: I like preserving the toppings for this bowl contemporary and easy with inexperienced onions, cilantro, sesame seeds and sriracha. Should you’re an aioli lover you may also combine sriracha with mayo for a spicy aioli to high this meal off with one thing creamy!
Cauliflower rice: You may completely serve the egg roll in a bowl straight up, however for those who’re on the lookout for extra quantity and veggies (with out additional carbs) be at liberty to cook dinner up some cauliflower rice and serve the egg roll in a bowl over high!
How you can Retailer Leftovers
This egg roll in a bowl recipe shops rather well within the fridge! It ought to final 4-5 days within the fridge when saved in an hermetic container. If you’re able to get pleasure from, warmth it up over the stovetop or within the microwave.
Extra Floor Turkey Recipes
Asian-Impressed Weeknight Dinners
Egg Roll in a Bowl
This egg roll bowl combines lean protein with coleslaw combine and coconut aminos for a wholesome meal that has taste just like an egg roll, minus the fried wrap.
- 1 lb floor turkey or rooster
- 2 teaspoons contemporary ginger, grated or minced
- ¼ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 12 – 14 oz packaged coleslaw combine, or broccoli slaw
- 3 Tablespoons coconut aminos, or low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek, additionally known as Huy Fong chili paste
- 2 inexperienced onions, chopped
- sriracha, for serving (non-compulsory)
- sesame seeds and chopped cilantro, for garnish (non-compulsory)
- cooked cauliflower rice, for serving (non-compulsory)
- Coconut aminos – be at liberty to make use of low-sodium tamari for a gluten-free possibility or reduced-sodium soy sauce if that’s what you could have in your fridge!
- Sambal oelek – additionally known as Huy Fong chili paste or garlic chili sauce, this spicy condiment is a mainstay in Asian cooking. You will discover it on the worldwide aisle at your grocery retailer. Should you don’t have sambal oelek, you need to use sriracha as a substitute. Should you don’t need the dish to be spicy in any respect, merely omit it! Should you like extra taste and spice, you possibly can add extra. I normally do 2-4 teaspoons!
- Add an egg – This recipe doesn’t name for eggs, however if you wish to amp up the protein you possibly can add an egg once you add the cooked meat again to the pan and toss till the egg is cooked by way of.
- Servings – The recipe serves 3, but when we’re actually hungry we are able to eat the entire meal between 2 folks, particularly if we don’t serve it with cauliflower rice. Should you’re serving a household of 4 or need leftovers for lunch the subsequent day, I might undoubtedly double the recipe.
Serving: 1/3 of recipe Energy: 325kcal Carbohydrates: 14g Protein: 32g Fats: 15g Saturated Fats: 3g Polyunsaturated Fats: 10g Ldl cholesterol: 104mg Sodium: 393mg Fiber: 3g Sugar: 8g
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please depart a remark and star ranking on this publish and share on social media utilizing the hashtag #eatingbirdfood. I like seeing your recipe shares!
This publish might embrace affiliate hyperlinks. Thanks in your assist.