This simple berry cake is made with complete wheat pastry flour, Greek yogurt, maple syrup and studded with a mixture of contemporary berries. It’s wholesome, easy to make and the right deal with for breakfast or dessert!
I’m so enthusiastic about at present’s recipe! This simple berry cake has been on repeat in our family these days. Even Olivia is obsessive about it!
Not solely is that this berry cake scrumptious and simple to whip up, it’s additionally made with complete wheat flour and Greek yogurt and it’s frivolously sweetened with maple syrup. The Greek yogurt replaces any oil you’d sometimes want and since it’s not overly candy I like having a slice of this cake for breakfast with a heat cup of espresso.
It might even be an amazing addition to your Easter brunch menu. It’s assured to be a success with everybody!
Why You’ll Love This Cake
- Loaded with contemporary, juicy berries in each chunk!
- Made with easy components you seemingly have already got in your kitchen.
- Fluffy and smooth and can hit the spot for breakfast or dessert!
- Fancy sufficient to be served for Easter brunch, however can also be nice for meal prep to get pleasure from all through the week.
- unsweetened almond milk – make your personal vegan “buttermilk” by mixing apple cider vinegar with almond milk (store-bought or home made almond milk works)! Whisk the ACV and almond milk and put aside at room temperature. The combination ought to frivolously bubble, thicken and doubtlessly even curdle after a couple of minutes.
- apple cider vinegar – when looking for ACV, search for a model that’s unpasteurized with “the mom” included. That is the place all of the vitamins are. I personally suggest Bragg’s apple cider vinegar. It’s natural, uncooked and the perfect of the perfect.
- complete wheat pastry flour – complete wheat pastry flour works higher than common complete wheat flour for those who’re searching for the sunshine and fluffy texture that common all-purpose flour gives, however nonetheless need the vitamins of complete wheat flour. My go-to model is Bob’s Pink Mill complete wheat pastry flour.
- baking powder & soda – to assist the cake rise.
- salt – to deliver all of the flavors collectively.
- cinnamon – a pleasant warming spice.
- eggs – helps bind the components collectively and supply construction for the cake.
- maple syrup – the pure sweetener of selection for this cake.
- Greek yogurt – Greek yogurt retains this cake moist with out the necessity for any oil! I like to recommend utilizing plain complete milk (full fats) yogurt for the perfect outcomes.
- vanilla extract – a taste enhancer!
- berries – contemporary or frozen berries will work for this recipe! I used a combo of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, however be happy to make use of only one sort of berry if that’s what you have got available. You’re going to toss the berries in somewhat flour earlier than including them to the batter. This helps to stop the berries from sinking to the underside of the cake!
- powdered sugar – an optionally available end to this cake.
Whisk almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and put aside to let curdle for 5-10 minutes.
Stir collectively 1 ½ cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl. In a separate massive mixing bowl whisk eggs then add maple syrup, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract. Add almond milk combination and whisk once more till mixed. Pour the dry components into the moist components and stir with a picket spoon or spatula till simply mixed.
In the identical bowl used to combine the dry components, toss 1 ½ cup of berries with 1 teaspoon flour. Add the berries to the batter and gently fold in. Pour the batter into the ready 9-inch springform pan and high with further ½ cup berries. Bake for 30-35 min at 350°F, till a toothpick inserted comes out clear.
Let cake cool for 5-10 minutes, then run a butter knife alongside the perimeters of the springform pan to launch the cake from the pan. Take away the cake and let cool fully on a wire cooling rack. Mud with powdered sugar and serve.
Substitutions & Notes
- Milk: Not all non-dairy milk will work for vegan buttermilk however soy milk does for those who don’t have almond milk available. You can even simply use common buttermilk rather than almond milk and apple cider vinegar for those who want.
- Apple cider vinegar: You would substitute white vinegar or lemon juice for the apple cider vinegar.
- Complete wheat pastry flour: I haven’t tried utilizing one other flour for this recipe however for those who can’t discover complete wheat pastry flour you may also use white complete wheat flour, a mix of all-purpose and common complete wheat flour or simply conventional all-purpose flour. I haven’t tried this cake with a gluten-free all-purpose mix, so for those who strive it let me know the way it seems within the feedback under!
- Maple syrup: You may substitute honey, agave, or your favourite liquid sweetener for the maple syrup.
- Greek yogurt: I like to recommend utilizing full-fat Greek yogurt for this cake, however 2% Greek yogurt must also work. I don’t suggest utilizing non-fat Greek yogurt because it received’t add as a lot moisture to the cake and it typically has fillers that might change the consistency.
- Berries: I like to recommend blueberries, raspberries and/or blackberries for this cake, but when you find yourself utilizing one other berry like strawberries ensure that to cut them into smaller chunks.
What to Serve With Berry Cake
This cake isn’t overly candy making it the right deal with to get pleasure from for breakfast with a cup of espresso. It additionally makes for an amazing addition to any brunch unfold, particularly for an important day like Easter or Mom’s Day. The berries give this cake a springy really feel! Right here’s what I might serve it with:
For those who don’t have a springform pan I’d suggest choosing one up! I’ve this Wilton non-stick 9-inch springform pan. That mentioned, a 9-inch spherical cake pan ought to work simply superb. Simply watch out when eradicating it from the pan! I’d let it cool fully within the pan earlier than attempting to take away it. And ensure to grease the pan nicely or line it with parchment paper earlier than including the batter to stop the cake from sticking.
Sure! You may simply use frozen berries on this recipe. I might simply advise in opposition to frozen strawberries as they’ll be bigger in measurement. And no have to defrost the berries earlier than utilizing.
I haven’t examined a gluten-free model of this cake, however I might think about utilizing a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour would work simply superb rather than the entire wheat pastry flour. My favourite model is Bob’s Pink Mill gluten-free 1:1 all-purpose flour.
I haven’t tried it, however I might think about utilizing a non-dairy Greek-style yogurt or actually any vegan yogurt would work simply superb as an alternative to the Greek yogurt.
I haven’t examined an egg-free model of this cake, however let me know for those who determine to experiment within the feedback under! I might think about utilizing two flax eggs or chia eggs rather than the common eggs would work simply superb. The cake simply won’t rise the identical.
After permitting the cake to chill fully, retailer in an hermetic container for 3-4 days at room temperature or for as much as 1 week within the fridge. For longer storage, you possibly can freeze for as much as 3 months in a freezer-safe container or bag.
If storing within the freezer, I like to recommend chopping the cake into particular person servings earlier than freezing. Then you possibly can pull out one piece at a time as wanted. Let the cake thaw in a single day within the fridge or for a couple of hours at room temperature.
Extra Cake Recipes to Strive
Serving: 1 slice | Energy: 182kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 6g | Fats: 2g | Saturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 312mg | Potassium: 145mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 16g
Vitamin info is mechanically calculated, so ought to solely be used as an approximation.