These excessive protein cottage cheese cookies are tender, chewy and made with solely 7 substances. They’re gluten-free, egg-free, low sugar and have 8 grams of protein per cookie.
Prepare on your new cookie obsession… cottage cheese cookies!
Sure, you heard proper… we’re making chocolate chip cookies with cottage cheese. And guess what? You possibly can’t even style the cottage cheese. Even Isaac (who isn’t a cottage cheese fan) loves them!
This recipe got here collectively after I attempted Jake Cohen’s wonderful edible cottage cheese cookie dough. I needed to create a recipe that might not solely be loved straight up as cookie dough but additionally as cookies. After some recipe tweaking and about 10 batches, I’m excited to be sharing this recipe with you right this moment!
Why You’ll Love These Cookies
- There are 8 grams of protein per cookie due to the cottage cheese and protein powder.
- They’re low in sugar and naturally sweetened with maple syrup.
- Child-friendly and adult-approved. All of us devoured these cookies up, together with Olivia.
- Tremendous simple to make – no sophisticated steps concerned! Merely mix, combine and bake.
- You solely want 7 easy substances that you just in all probability have already got in your kitchen.
- They’re gluten-free, grain-free and egg-free.
- cottage cheese – the star ingredient in these cookies! Cottage cheese makes the cookies good and moist and provides a lift of protein. I used entire milk Good Tradition cottage cheese, which is 4% milkfat and small curd. I like to recommend utilizing 4% milkfat cottage cheese for one of the best outcomes. And since cottage cheese has the next sodium content material there’s so want for added salt on this recipe.
- maple syrup – my favourite pure sweetener, giving the cookies a pleasant, refined maple taste.
- vanilla extract – a pleasant taste enhancer.
- almond flour – a nutrient-dense flour that’s grain-free and gluten-free. It’s additionally what makes these cookies tender and chewy. One factor to notice is that you may’t merely swap almond flour for all-purpose flour at a 1:1 ratio. Almond flour is simply floor almond, which has completely completely different consistency (and fats/protein degree) than conventional flour. My favourite model is Bob’s Crimson Mill tremendous wonderful almond flour.
- coconut oil – helps preserve the cookies moist.
- vanilla protein powder – provides extra protein and vanilla taste to those cookies. I examined these cookies with each Nuzest protein powder (use code eatingbirdfood for 15% off your order) and Solar Warrior Vanilla Warrior Mix and each batches turned out nice.
- chocolate chips – I used Lily’s darkish chocolate chips as a result of they’re sweetened with stevia and low in sugar, however you should utilize any model you favor.
Tips on how to Make
This cottage cheese cookie recipe is fairly straight-forward and simple to make!
Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a blender, add the cottage cheese, maple syrup and vanilla and mix on excessive till easy.
In a medium mixing bowl mix the almond flour and protein powder. Then add the coconut oil and cottage cheese combination and stir till mixed. Gently fold within the chocolate chips.
Scoop the dough onto the ready baking sheet utilizing a medium cookie scoop and use your palms to flatten the cookies only a bit in order that they’re in a cookie form. You too can roll the cookie dough right into a ball after which use your hand to flatten for a extra uniform form.
High the cookies with a couple of extra chocolate chips and bake for about 15-16 minutes or till the underside of the cookies are golden brown. Let cool for a couple of minutes on the baking sheet then switch to wire racks to chill utterly. Take pleasure in!
Why Was my Batter Runny/Why Did my Cookies Flip Out Flat?
There may very well be a couple of the explanation why your cookies turned out flat or why your batter gave the impression to be tremendous runny. First, it might have been the kind of protein powder you used. Not all protein powders are created equally and a few are extra absorbent than others. Second, it might have been the kind of cottage cheese you used. Some manufacturers are extra liquidy than others. I used each Good Tradition and Dealer Joe’s small curd 4% milkfat cottage cheese and didn’t have any points with both of them.
In the event you discover that your dough appears fairly liquidy after mixing every little thing collectively, you can strive including 1/4-1/2 cup extra almond flour to the dough to see if that helps. I did take a look at this recipe with 2 cups almond flour and 1/4 cup protein powder and it turned out simply wonderful for me.
Substitutions & Notes
- Sweetener: I haven’t tried it, however it’s best to have the ability to swap the maple syrup with one other liquid sweetener of alternative like honey or agave.
- Flour: I’ve solely examined this recipe with oat flour and it didn’t end up that nice as oat flour is far drier than almond flour, so I wouldn’t advocate utilizing oat flour. I haven’t tried it, however coconut flour would possibly work instead, you in all probability simply wouldn’t want as a lot flour as a result of coconut flour is tremendous absorbent and may’t be subbed 1:1 with different flours.
- Protein powder: In the event you don’t have protein powder readily available or simply aren’t a fan you can strive changing a number of the protein powder with extra almond flour. I haven’t tried it, however I might begin with 2 cups of almond flour if you’re skipping the protein powder.
- Oil: In the event you don’t have coconut oil, melted butter or one other impartial oil like olive oil or avocado oil can be utilized as an alternative.
Tips on how to Retailer
These cookies could be saved in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 3 days. For longer storage, place them within the fridge for a couple of week.
You can additionally freeze them for as much as 3 months. Simply thaw within the fridge or at room temperature earlier than having fun with!
Completely! They’re low in sugar, haven’t any synthetic substances and one cookie is full of 8 grams of protein every, in order that they’re positively wholesome in my ebook!
The kind of cottage cheese you utilize is as much as private desire or what you’ve gotten accessible in your grocery shops. I personally like to make use of natural dairy merchandise free from antibiotics and hormones (like rbST). In the event you’re searching for good natural cottage cheese manufacturers I like to recommend Good Tradition, Natural Valley and Kalona SuperNatural. I additionally examined this recipe with Dealer Joe’s full-fat cottage cheese.
I like to recommend utilizing a plant-based protein powder with minimal substances. I examined each Solar Warrior and Nuzest protein powder and each labored nice. Neither of them have a chalky style and the ingredient checklist is minimal. You actually can’t style the protein powder in these cookies in any respect they usually have an incredible texture! I haven’t examined these cookies with a whey protein or hemp protein mix so I’m undecided if the consistency would change in any respect. Let me know should you strive any of those choices within the feedback under!
Sadly, I don’t advocate swapping the almond flour for an additional flour because it’ll possible change the consistency and texture of those cookies. I examined these cookies with oat flour they usually turned out dry and didn’t have one of the best texture. I’m curious to see how coconut flour works, however I haven’t examined it but.
Since cottage cheese is the principle ingredient on this cookie recipe, there isn’t a great substitute for it. Greek yogurt would possibly work, however I’m undecided how the consistency or taste of those cookies shall be.
Sadly not since cottage cheese is made with dairy. In the event you’re searching for a vegan protein cookie recipe you can make these protein cookies as an alternative.
I haven’t examined it, however I wager you’ll be able to sub the protein powder with extra almond flour. I might take a look at it with 2 cups almond flour should you skip the protein powder, however once more I haven’t tried it so am not 100% positive how the cookies will end up.
Extra Cottage Cheese Recipes
Extra Cookie Recipes
Serving: 1 cookie | Energy: 124kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 8g | Fats: 8g | Saturated Fats: 3g | Ldl cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 103mg | Potassium: 112mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g
Diet info is robotically calculated, so ought to solely be used as an approximation.