This cauliflower gratin options cauliflower florets baked to perfection in a creamy cheese sauce and topped with breadcrumbs. It’s vegetarian, low-carb and the right addition to your vacation menu.
I’m again with one other vacation facet dish with cauliflower because the star of the present! A number of years in the past I shared my mashed cauliflower recipe as a more healthy various to mashed potatoes and in the present day I’m sharing this cauliflower gratin recipe, which is a good low-carb various for au gratin potatoes.
This cauliflower gratin is a more healthy method to take pleasure in a traditional consolation meals dish. And belief me, you received’t even miss the potatoes! It’s heat, tacky and satisfying, however nonetheless gentle sufficient to depart room for all of your different vacation dishes. It’s positively one you’re going to wish to add to your Thanksgiving menu this yr!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s a more healthy, low-carb model of a consolation meals traditional.
- It’s so tacky and scrumptious, you received’t ever miss the potatoes!
- The proper facet dish for the vacations.
- Comes collectively rapidly!
A More healthy Vacation Basic
Au gratin potatoes is a traditional vacation dish, nevertheless it’s positively not the healthiest facet dish by any means so in true EBF vogue I made a decision to swap the potatoes for cauliflower to make this dish low-carb and add extra vitamins. Cauliflower is decrease in carbs and energy and packs in much more diet than potatoes comparable to fiber, potassium and vitamin C and Ok.
- cauliflower – the star of the present! I like to recommend utilizing a full head of cauliflower however you should utilize cauliflower florets as effectively if that’s all you will discover. When in search of cauliflower search for a head that’s white and compact with no brown spots. The leaves ought to be inexperienced and crisp, and the stem ought to be agency. Keep away from heads of cauliflower which are smooth, have brown spots or are starting to sprout.
- butter – for sautéing the onion and garlic and so as to add taste. You can even use olive or avocado oil as a substitute of butter in case you want.
- yellow onion and garlic – provides scrumptious savory taste to the dish.
- all-purpose flour – to assist thicken the sauce. Gluten-free all-purpose flour, cornstarch or arrowroot flour will all work as substitutes.
- salt and pepper – important seasonings to assist deliver all of the flavors collectively.
- nutmeg – only a pinch so as to add a heat, nutty taste. Be at liberty to skip this in case you aren’t a nutmeg fan.
- unsweetened almond milk – for the sauce. I used almond milk, however any dairy-free or dairy milk works. I’d keep away from any milk that’s sweetened and coconut milk as that’ll change the flavour of this dish.
- gruyere cheese and parmesan cheese – I went with a combo of gruyere and parmesan cheese for this dish, however be happy to make use of gouda cheese, sharp cheddar cheese or jack cheese, that are all nice choices. I simply advocate shopping for blocks of cheese and shredding shredded it your self as that can lead to the perfect taste!
- panko breadcrumbs or almond meal – this provides a pleasant crispy, crunchy topping! I want utilizing almond meal for some added vitamins, however panko breadcrumbs are additionally an excellent possibility.
- recent parsley – completely non-obligatory, however I like including recent parsley to this dish when serving. It provides a pleasant freshness and positively elevates the presentation.
Easy methods to Make
Boil cauliflower: Chop the cauliflower into florets and place in a big pot with sufficient water to cowl the cauliflower. Warmth till the water is boiling, then scale back to medium-low and simmer till the cauliflower is tender, however nonetheless agency (about 4-5 minutes). Drain and put aside for later use.
Make sauce: Whereas the cauliflower is cooking add butter to a big saucepan and warmth over medium warmth. Add chopped onion and garlic to sauté till tender and aromatic. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Slowly add the almond milk and convey the combination to a boil, continuously whisking, till combination is clean and thick. Take away from warmth and add ¾ cup gruyere cheese and ¼ cup parmesan whereas mixing till absolutely melted and clean.
Bake: Add the cauliflower florets to the ready 8×11 casserole dish (9×13 works too) and pour the sauce evenly over the cauliflower. Prime with the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for 25-Half-hour at 375°F till bubbly and the highest begins to brown. Broil for the ultimate 2-3 minutes for a crispy brown prime.
- Don’t overcook cauliflower. If you find yourself overcooking the cauliflower earlier than baking the feel will not be as crispy as you’d prefer it. To keep away from this challenge simply keep watch over the cauliflower as they’re cooking. It’s best to be capable to poke a fork in a single and simply raise it out with out it falling again in. Keep away from cooking them for any greater than 5 minutes.
- Use freshly shredded cheese. There are a couple of causes to make use of blocked cheese as a substitute of pre-shredded cheese. First, pre-shredded cheese typically has added components to maintain it from clumping, which might change the flavour. Second, pre-shredded cheese is commonly drier than block cheese, so it doesn’t soften as effectively. Lastly, you possibly can management the scale of the shreds if you shred your personal cheese, which might be vital for some recipes.
- Drain cauliflower effectively. Cauliflower is already excessive in water content material, so drain the cauliflower effectively after cooking and pat the florets dry so that you don’t find yourself with a watery sauce.
- Take away pan from warmth earlier than including cheese. In the event you add your cheese to a pan that’s nonetheless on the warmth, the cheese will soften too rapidly and may turn into clumpy, or presumably burn. By eradicating the pan from the warmth earlier than including the cheese, you give the cheese time to soften slowly and evenly, leading to a clean, creamy texture.
What to Serve With Cauliflower Gratin
I do know that I’ll be making a batch of this cauliflower gratin for Thanksgiving this yr. Listed here are some concepts on what to serve it with:
Can I Make This Dish Forward of Time?
This cauliflower gratin is the right dish to make forward of time! All you should do is put together the dish as instructed beneath, simply don’t bake it. As soon as your dish is assembled cowl and set within the fridge till you’re able to bake. As soon as prepared, cowl it with the bread crumbs or almond meal and bake for 25-Half-hour.
Easy methods to Retailer Leftovers
Retailer leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. You may reheat the cauliflower gratin on the stovetop, within the oven or microwave.
Extra Cauliflower Recipes to Strive
Extra Vacation Facet Dishes to Strive
This cauliflower gratin options cauliflower florets baked to perfection in a creamy cheese sauce and topped with breadcrumbs. It is vegetarian, low-carb and the right addition to your vacation menu.
- 1 massive head of cauliflower, minimize into medium florets (about 8 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons butter, or olive oil
- ¼ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoon all-purpose flour, or gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoons floor pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg, non-obligatory
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese, divided
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs or almond meal
- Contemporary parsley, for serving
Serving: 1/6 recipe Energy: 266kcal Carbohydrates: 24g Protein: 13g Fats: 14g Saturated Fats: 7g Monounsaturated Fats: 3g Ldl cholesterol: 37mg Sodium: 550mg Potassium: 489mg Fiber: 3g Sugar: 3g
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please depart a remark and star score on this submit and share on social media utilizing the hashtag #eatingbirdfood. I like seeing your recipe shares!
This submit might embody affiliate hyperlinks. Thanks to your help.