Make coconut shrimp within the air fryer with this straightforward recipe that cooks up in below 10 minutes. It’s more healthy than takeout and assured to be a crowd favourite particularly when served with the mango chili dipping sauce.
Coconut shrimp is one among my favourite restaurant appetizers so I needed to create a more healthy EBF-approved model that I may simply make at house.
Most coconut shrimp recipes that you just’d sometimes get from a restaurant are deep-fried. Since I needed to create a more healthy model I made a decision to make this recipe in my air fryer, which turned out so good and got here collectively rapidly (the shrimp cooks up in about 6 minutes within the air fryer). The air fryer helps to realize that crispy, golden exterior and completely cooked middle and not using a ton of oil!
And don’t even get me began on the mango chili dipping sauce. It’s undoubtedly the star of this recipe, so no matter you do don’t skip that!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Tastes like a restaurant high quality appetizer however is more healthy and cheaper. Win win!
- It’s fast and simple to make. The shrimp cooks up in below 10 minutes!
- The mango chili dipping sauce is chef’s kiss!
- You solely want 6 essential elements for the shrimp (plus salt + pepper).
- shrimp – massive or further massive peeled, deveined and rinsed shrimp are greatest. I like to purchase already peeled and deveined shrimp to make issues quicker, however you are able to do this your self if desired, simply be certain that to maintain their tails on to make it simpler to select up. You should utilize frozen shrimp, simply be certain that it’s totally thawed earlier than utilizing.
- all-purpose flour – used to coat the shrimp earlier than cooking. If wanted you should use a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour.
- panko bread crumbs – used to create that signature crispy texture on the shrimp. Panko breadcrumbs are lighter and flakier than conventional breadcrumbs, which helps create a crispy coating. I like utilizing complete wheat panko bread crumbs, however common panko bread crumbs may also work. Use gluten-free bread crumbs if wanted.
- shredded coconut – be sure to’re utilizing unsweetened shredded coconut and never sweetened. My favourite model is Bob’s Pink Mill shredded coconut.
- eggs – helps the flour and coconut panko combination stick with the shrimp.
- seasonings – garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- recent cilantro – for a recent garnish.
- dipping sauce – the actual star of the present right here! For the dipping sauce I went with a candy Thai mango chili sauce made by mixing collectively frozen mango, lime juice, Thai candy chili sauce and ginger. It’s SO good!
Find out how to Make
Make dippings sauce by including thawed frozen mango, lime juice, Thai candy chili sauce and ginger to a blender. Mix till mixed and easy. Put aside.
In a small bowl, mix flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder. In a separate small bowl whisk collectively eggs. In a 3rd shallow bowl combine collectively breadcrumbs and shredded coconut.
Dip shrimp one after the other within the flour combination, then dredge it within the egg, wiping off any extra, then dip it within the coconut combination. Press the coconut panko combination onto the shrimp to ensure it sticks totally. Place shrimp on a baking tray or plate lined with parchment paper till all of the shrimp have been coated.
Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF. As soon as heated, place shrimp within the air fryer in a single layer and spray evenly with cooking spray. Bake for six minutes, flipping as soon as midway till shrimp is golden brown on the skin with crispy edges. You’ll doubtless have to do that in a number of batches in order to not overcrowd the air fryer.
Serve heat with recent cilantro and dipping sauce.
Ideas For Success
- Use recent shrimp. When accessible, all the time use recent, high-quality shrimp for the perfect taste and texture. If you’re utilizing frozen shrimp, remember to defrost the shrimp totally earlier than utilizing. Any further moisture on the shrimp will impression the top consequence.
- Pat the shrimp dry. Earlier than breading the shrimp, be certain that to pat them dry with paper towels. This may assist to make sure actually crispy shrimp and forestall the coating from changing into soggy.
- Prepare dinner in batches. Prepare dinner the shrimp in batches to keep away from overcrowding the air fryer basket. You need one layer of shrimp that isn’t touching one another. In the event you overcrowd the basket it will probably result in the shrimp being cooked inconsistently or changing into soggy as a substitute of crispy.
- Don’t overcook. Bear in mind, shrimp cooks up quick! Overcooking the shrimp could make them robust and rubbery. You need your shrimp golden on the skin and opaque within the middle.
Find out how to Serve
I sometimes serve up this coconut shrimp as an appetizer with the mango chili dipping sauce, however the choices are limitless. Listed here are some concepts:
- As an appetizer: Function an appetizer with the candy chili dipping sauce.
- As a essential dish: Serve this coconut shrimp over a mattress of rice or quinoa with some veggies and a sauce for an entire meal.
- As a topping: Use the coconut shrimp as a topping for a salad, pasta or grain bowl.
- In a wrap: Serve the coconut shrimp in a wrap or as tacos, together with your favourite toppings and the mango chili sauce.
Can I Make Coconut Shrimp in The Oven?
I haven’t tried making this recipe within the oven, however I don’t see why not! If I had been to make this coconut shrimp within the oven right here’s what I’d do:
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put together shrimp as directed within the recipe under, putting coated shrimp on ready baking sheet.
- As soon as shrimp have all been coated bake for about 10-12 minutes, flipping midway.
- Serve heat with dipping sauce!
As a reminder, I haven’t examined this so I’m not 100% positive concerning the cook dinner time! If you find yourself attempting this recipe within the oven let me know within the feedback under!
Can I Use Frozen Shrimp?
Sure! As talked about above you should use frozen shrimp as a substitute of uncooked if that’s what you’ve got entry to. Simply be sure to totally defrost the shrimp earlier than utilizing it on this recipe. Additionally, I like to recommend utilizing uncooked frozen shrimp. In the event you use cooked frozen shrimp the top consequence is perhaps a bit overcooked because the shrimp has already been cooked and then you definitely’re cooking it once more.
Find out how to Retailer Leftovers
Within the fridge: Retailer any leftover shrimp in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Within the freezer: I’d solely freeze the shrimp in the event you’re beginning with uncooked shrimp. I wouldn’t defrost frozen shrimp after which freeze it once more. To freeze, place in a freezer-safe container and retailer within the freezer for as much as 3 months.
To reheat: Reheat shrimp within the air fryer or on the stovetop in a skillet for the perfect outcomes. You can even reheat the shrimp within the microwave, nevertheless it’ll lose a few of its crispness. In the event you’re reheating from frozen, let the shrimp thaw within the fridge in a single day earlier than reheating.
Extra Air Fryer Recipes to Strive
Extra Shrimp Recipes to Strive
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
Make coconut shrimp within the air fryer with this straightforward recipe that cooks up in below 10 minutes. It is more healthy than takeout and assured to be a crowd favourite particularly when served with the mango chili dipping sauce.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour, or 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon floor pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 massive eggs
- ½ cup complete wheat or common panko breadcrumbs, gluten-free if wanted
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 lb. massive shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Recent cilantro, chopped, for serving
Mago Chili Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup frozen mango, thawed
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup Thai candy chili sauce
- 1 inch knob ginger
Make dipping sauce by including thawed frozen mango, lime juice, Thai candy chili sauce and ginger to a blender. Mix till mixed and put aside.
In a small bowl, mix flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
In a separate small bowl whisk eggs and put aside.
In a 3rd bowl combine collectively breadcrumbs and shredded coconut.
Dip shrimp one after the other within the flour combination, then dredge it by way of the egg combination, dripping off the surplus, then lastly dip it within the coconut combination. Press the coconut panko combination onto the shrimp to ensure it sticks totally. Place shrimp on a baking tray or plate lined with parchment paper till all of the shrimp has been coated.
Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF. As soon as heated, place shrimp within the air fryer in a single layer and spray evenly with cooking spray. Bake for six minutes, flipping as soon as midway, till shrimp is golden brown on the skin with crispy edges. You will doubtless have to do that in a number of batches as to not overcrowd the air fryer.
Serve heat with recent cilantro and dipping sauce.
Serving: 1/4 recipe with dipping sauce Energy: 441kcal Carbohydrates: 34g Protein: 36g Fats: 16g Saturated Fats: 13g Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g Monounsaturated Fats: 1g Ldl cholesterol: 307mg Sodium: 587mg Potassium: 553mg Fiber: 7g Sugar: 10g
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please go away a remark and star ranking on this publish and share on social media utilizing the hashtag #eatingbirdfood. I really like seeing your recipe shares!
This publish could embody affiliate hyperlinks. Thanks in your assist.