You’ve most likely seen the meal prep pattern on-line the place dozens and dozens of meals are prepped in containers for your entire week? Holy moly. I can say that can most likely by no means be me. I as soon as tried an over-ambitious meal prep and never solely did I find yourself with means an excessive amount of meals, but it surely took up most of my day.
On the flip facet, I’ve realized that my veggie consumption falls fairly flat after I don’t do any prep in any respect.
Soooo….there needs to be a cheerful medium!?
This little dilemma is strictly why I got here up with a easy plan that completely suits into my life lately. The recipe under (which is completely customizable!) takes lower than 30 minutes of lively prep time, however makes sufficient meals for a number of parts, growing the percentages that you simply’ll be a veggie powerhouse for the workweek. *arm flex* I really like how I can shortly reheat a pair issues and construct a hearty, nutritious bowl in a matter of minutes!
My meal prep technique has been going like this:
- Roast two enormous sheets of veggies
- Cook dinner a grain
- Chop a pair recent veggies (generally I skip this if I’m tight on time)
- Have toppings available, ready-to-roll—issues like avocado, nuts/seeds, beans, dressing, and many others.
This technique has dramatically modified my meals in current weeks (particularly, lunches) and elevated my veggie consumption a ton. All the elements will be modified up so it by no means needs to be repetitive and you’ll be versatile with utilizing what you might have in your fridge/pantry. It helps reduce down waste as a result of you may simply expend these “on the verge of dying” veggies in your crisper. Simply throw ‘em within the oven and roast the heck out of ‘em! And in the event you get bored with bowls, throw the prepped meals into scrumptious wraps and even soups/stews.
When you’re feeling extra-ambitious and wish to prep much more meals, I’d advocate including a number of of the next tasty gadgets:
I’ve offered an in depth recipe under as a result of it helps to have one thing to work from the primary time, however like I stated, be at liberty to run with it. When you merely decide to roasting 2 massive sheets of veggies, cook dinner a grain, and chop some recent veggies….you’ll be effectively in your solution to making straightforward throw-together energy bowls all week lengthy. My future hangry self has been thanking me loads.
I really like having prepped meals within the fridge, however don’t love doing hours of meal prep every week. So I got here up with this straightforward technique that takes simply 25 minutes of lively prep time. The wholesome meals elements will be loved for a number of days in energy bowls, wraps, and even stirred into soups! Energy bowls are so enjoyable for household meals as a result of you may swap up the veggies and toppings to swimsuit every palate, giving youngsters management to construct their very own bowls. This recipe can also be a useful make-ahead possibility in the event you’re having mates over for a meal. Merely chop all of the veggies the evening earlier than and refrigerate them in containers. Simply earlier than your company arrive, pop the veggies into the oven, cook dinner the quinoa, and prep the toppings. After cooking, you may all have enjoyable assembling your individual energy bowls and everybody might be tremendous impressed by the gorgeous rainbow-coloured meal!
For the roasted veggies:
- 3 small (680 g) candy potatoes, peeled and chopped (4 cups)
- 4 cups (500 g) brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved*
- 1 medium (800 g) cauliflower, chopped into small florets (4 heaping cups)
- 1 medium (230 g) purple onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 giant (500 g) purple bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to style
For the quinoa:
- 2 cups (400 g) raw quinoa**
For the recent veggies:
- 1 medium (370 g) English cucumber, chopped
- 1 medium (135 g) bunch inexperienced onions, chopped
- 2 cups (255 g) grape tomatoes (1 dry pint)
For the ability bowl toppings:
- Chopped lettuce/greens (Romaine, Iceberg, kale, and many others)
- Salad dressing***
- Ripe avocados
- Cooked beans or lentils
- Nuts and seeds (I exploit hemp hearts and roasted pepitas)
- Hummus or pesto
- Place two oven racks close to the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line two extra-large (15- x 21-inches) rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. It’s necessary to make use of extra-large baking sheets so there’s sufficient room for all these wholesome veggies.
- Divide the chopped, “to-be-roasted” veggies onto the baking sheets. Drizzle 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil over high every sheet and toss the veggies till they’re absolutely coated within the oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast the veggies for 30 to 40 minutes (I discover 35 minutes is ideal in my oven for frivolously charred veggies) till fork tender and golden. There’s no have to rotate/transfer the pans or flip the veggies midway by way of baking except you’re explicit about even cooking.
- Whereas the veggies are roasting, add the quinoa to a big pot together with 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) water. Stir. Deliver to a simmer over medium-high warmth, then instantly cut back the warmth to low-medium, cowl with a tight-fitting lid, and cook dinner for 12 to 14 minutes, till the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy. Take away the lid and fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork.
- Whereas the quinoa cooks, chop the cucumber and inexperienced onions. Rinse the tomatoes (I maintain off slicing them till simply earlier than serving).
- Take away the roasted veggies from the oven. As soon as largely cool, switch all the veggies and quinoa into containers, seal with hermetic lids, and place into the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- To make the ability bowls: Add a pair beneficiant handfuls of chopped lettuce/greens to the underside of a giant shallow bowl. Drizzle with a little bit of dressing and toss the lettuce/greens till coated. Prime with spoonfuls of your prepped meals (quinoa, roasted and recent veggies)—I at all times heat up the quinoa and roasted veggies first! Now, add diced avocado, extra salad dressing, cooked beans or lentils, nuts and seeds, and hummus or pesto. Maintain the ability bowl flavours attention-grabbing by changing up the toppings every day!
* In case your brussels sprouts are fairly giant, quarter them as an alternative of halving.
** When you do not assume you will eat this a lot quinoa in 4 to five days, be at liberty to halve this quantity (use 1 cup raw quinoa + 1.75 cups water).
*** In search of a scrumptious home made dressing? Attempt my Lemon-Tahini Dressing, Shake-and-Go Balsamic French dressing (Oh She Glows Each Day, p. 273), or Roasted Garlic and Crimson Wine French dressing. I at all times preserve Maison Orphee Italian available when I haven’t got home made dressing prepped.
Be happy to roast a head of garlic together with the veggies. The roasted cloves are particularly scrumptious thrown into my Roasted Garlic and Crimson Wine French dressing present in my Heat + Roasted Winter Salad Bowl recipe.
Make it nut-free: Prime your bowl with seeds (resembling roasted pepita seeds and hemp hearts) as an alternative of nuts and ensure your dressing is nut-free.
(click on to develop)