A lighter tackle conventional eggnog made with almond and coconut milk and naturally sweetened with maple syrup. It’s wealthy and creamy, dairy-free and may be served with or with out alcohol for a scrumptious vacation deal with!
Eggnog is a kind of issues folks have a tendency to completely love or hate. I didn’t develop up ingesting eggnog as a vacation custom, however Isaac likes it so he launched me to it a couple of years in the past. As I’m typing this I’m realizing that it’s sort of humorous that my Jewish husband is the one who launched ME to eggnog.
Anyhow, as soon as I attempted eggnog I spotted that whereas I like the style of it, I’m not so keen on its heaviness. Plus, there are a ton of components within the packaged stuff that aren’t so EBF-friendly. Heavy cream, corn syrup, thickening brokers and preservatives to call a couple of.
With that in thoughts I used to be impressed to create a lightened-up, clean-eating eggnog recipe that’s dairy-free, however nonetheless wealthy, thick and loaded with festive vacation spices. I ended up with a deliciously creamy, dairy-free eggnog that’s made with a mix of almond and coconut milk and naturally sweetened with maple syrup. No heavy cream or refined sugar right here!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Decrease in energy and fats in comparison with conventional eggnog.
- May be made with or with out alcohol!
- Scrumptious and festive drink to take pleasure in through the holidays!
- It’s made with easy, real-food components.
Eggnog is a basic chilled vacation drink produced from milk, cream, sugar and eggs, typically with a splash of rum or brandy. It’s thought to have originated in medieval England, the place it was generally known as “posset.” Posset was a scorching drink produced from milk and wine or ale, thickened with eggs. Eggnog might have developed from posset, or it could be a totally separate drink with an analogous title and origin. Today, eggnog is a vacation staple and it may be present in shops and houses throughout the nation through the Christmas season.
- almond milk – I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk, however you need to use your favourite non-dairy milk. You may as well make your personal almond milk!
- coconut milk – I really like the combo of almond milk + coconut milk. The coconut milk additionally helps to make this eggnog tremendous creamy! Both mild or common full-fat coconut milk will work, no matter your choice.
- egg yolks – can’t have eggnog with out eggs! That is what offers this drink its wealthy and creamy texture.
- maple syrup – I actually like the sunshine and candy taste that the maple syrup provides, however be happy to experiment together with your favourite sweetener. I’ve a sense that honey would work very well. You can additionally strive a sugar-free model with stevia. The feel may change a bit bit, however I feel the eggnog would nonetheless style nice.
- vanilla extract – a taste enhancer.
- cinnamon, floor nutmeg and floor clove – the right spice mix!
- rum or whiskey – completely optionally available, however in order for you basic eggnog make sure to add a splash of rum or whiskey for a pleasant warming impact.
The way to Make Dairy-Free Eggnog
Simmer: Add the almond milk, coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to a small pot and warmth over medium warmth till simmering. Don’t convey it to a boil!
Mix: In the meantime, place the egg yolks and maple syrup in a blender and mix for about 30 seconds, till mild and fluffy.
Mix: As soon as the milk is simmering, flip the blender on low and slowly add the milk combination to the egg yolk combination a bit at a time. This step is necessary as a result of when you pour it in suddenly the egg yolks will doubtless curdle.
Warmth: Add the eggnog combination again to the saucepan and warmth over medium-low warmth, whisking consistently till thick, about 10-Quarter-hour. At this level the eggnog ought to be thick sufficient to coat the again of a spoon. Take away from warmth and let cool to room temperature.
Chill: Switch to a jar (I used a 32 oz mason jar), cowl and refrigerate in a single day or for a couple of hours till chilled.
Serve: Serve chilled over a dice or two of ice with a sprinkle of cinnamon on high and a cinnamon stick. Add a splash of rum or whiskey if utilizing, and revel in!
The way to Serve
- With alcohol – eggnog is often served with a splash of alcohol for an additional kick. Nice choices embrace whiskey, rum, bourbon or brandy. About 2-3 ounces of alcohol per serving ought to do the trick.
- With a cinnamon stick – add in a cinnamon stick for an additional increase of taste, and to stir in your alcohol after all.
- Heat or chilled – I want my eggnog chilled with some ice, however you may as well serve it heat and it’s equally scrumptious! It’s all as much as your choice.
- With whipped cream – add a dollop of whip cream on high! You can strive coconut whipped cream to maintain this recipe dairy-free.
- Make breakfast – you need to use this eggnog recipe for breakfast recipes like French toast or make this eggnog in a single day oats recipe.
Storing Dairy-Free Eggnog
You’ll be able to retailer your eggnog in a jar with a decent lid within the fridge for 2-3 days. I want to make use of a 32 oz mason jar for storage. Should you add alcohol to the eggnog will probably be good for as much as one week within the fridge.
This dairy-free eggnog can curdle fairly simply when you’re not cautious! It’s essential so as to add the nice and cozy milk combination to the egg combination slowly whereas within the blender and to maintain your stovetop at a medium-low temp when heating. If the saucepan will get too scorching or is left on the warmth too lengthy your eggnog will curdle. It’s additionally necessary to consistently stir your eggnog whereas it’s on the warmth. Should you skip this step it could trigger the eggnog to curdle.
Sure, eggnog has uncooked egg in it. There are some dangers related to ingesting uncooked eggs, however these may be minimized through the use of contemporary eggs from a good supply, and by taking care to keep away from cross-contamination.
There isn’t any definitive reply to this query as completely different folks have completely different preferences. Some folks may want lighter alcohol resembling vodka or rum, whereas others may want heavier alcohol resembling whiskey, bourbon or brandy. Others may take pleasure in a espresso liqueur! Finally, it’s as much as your private choice.
Some folks want their eggnog piping scorching whereas others want it ice chilly. There are even some individuals who prefer to take pleasure in their eggnog at room temperature. Regardless of how you want your eggnog, it’s certain to be scrumptious.
Extra Cocktail Recipes to Attempt
Extra Vacation Recipes to Attempt
A lighter tackle conventional eggnog made with almond and coconut milk and naturally sweetened with maple syrup. It is wealthy and creamy, dairy-free and may be served with or with out alcohol for a scrumptious vacation deal with!
Add almond milk, coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to a saucepan and warmth over medium warmth till simmering (not boiling).
In the meantime, place egg yolks and maple syrup in a blender and mix on low-medium pace for about 30 seconds minutes till combination is mild and fluffy.
As soon as milk is simmering, flip blender on low and slowly add milk combination a bit at a time. It’s necessary so as to add the milk slowly to mood the eggs so that they don’t curdle!
Add eggnog combination again to saucepan and warmth over medium-low warmth, whisking consistently till combination thickens, about 10-Quarter-hour. At this level the eggnog ought to be thick sufficient to coat the again of a spoon.
Take away from warmth and let eggnog cool to room temperature. Switch to a jar (I used a 32 oz mason jar), cowl and refrigerate in a single day or for a couple of hours till chilled.
Serve chilled over a dice or two of ice with a sprinkle of cinnamon on high and a cinnamon stick. Add a splash of rum, whiskey or bourbon, if utilizing.
Serving: 1/4 recipe Energy: 267kcal Carbohydrates: 22g Protein: 4g Fats: 18g Saturated Fats: 14g Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g Monounsaturated Fats: 2g Ldl cholesterol: 138mg Sodium: 131mg Potassium: 103mg Fiber: 1g Sugar: 19g
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please depart a remark and star ranking on this submit and share on social media utilizing the hashtag #eatingbirdfood. I really like seeing your recipe shares!
This submit might embrace affiliate hyperlinks. Thanks to your help.