This chocolate peppermint baked oatmeal makes for the last word vacation breakfast particularly when topped with crushed sweet canes. It’s vegan, gluten-free, naturally sweetened and tremendous straightforward to whip up.
On the lookout for a tasty, but wholesome, breakfast choice? Why not do that chocolate peppermint baked oatmeal recipe! Full of fiber, protein and wholesome fat, this oatmeal will hold you glad all morning lengthy. Plus, the chocolate and peppermint flavors are an ideal mixture for the vacations!
Why You Must Make This Recipe
- The chocolate + peppermint taste is… chef’s kiss and excellent for the vacations!
- Weight loss plan pleasant! This recipe is gluten-free and vegan.
- Festive sufficient for Christmas brunch, however easy sufficient for weekly meal prep.
- Tastes like dessert, however is full of wholesome substances.
- Tremendous easy to whip up and also you solely want one bowl!
- quaint rolled oats – my fave model is Bob’s Purple Mill gluten-free quaint rolled oats.
- cocoa powder – for the chocolate taste! Be sure to’re utilizing unsweetened cocoa powder. Cacao powder works as nicely.
- baking powder – helps the baked oatmeal rise.
- sea salt – to convey all of the flavors collectively.
- floor flaxseed – as an alternative of an egg we’re utilizing flaxseed to assist bind the dish collectively. Should you don’t want this recipe to be vegan, you’ll be able to swap the flaxseed for 1 common egg.
- unsweetened almond milk – any dairy-free milk works however I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk. You may make your personal following my do-it-yourself almond milk recipe.
- applesauce – an effective way so as to add sweetness and moisture to this baked oatmeal recipe. It may additionally assist to bind the substances collectively and make the oatmeal denser.
- coconut oil – so as to add moisture to the baked oatmeal. I’ve bought a number of completely different manufacturers of coconut oil earlier than, however Nutiva natural further virgin coconut oil is my favourite.
- maple syrup – pure maple syrup is the proper pure sweetener to make use of for baked oatmeal in my view! Simply you’ll want to use pure maple syrup, not the substitute form labeled “pancake syrup” and produced from corn syrup… NOT the identical!
- peppermint extract – can’t have chocolate peppermint with out the peppermint! It provides that refreshing minty taste to this baked oatmeal.
- chocolate – for added chocolaty goodness! Use chopped chocolate or chocolate chips. I like utilizing Lily’s chocolate chips as a result of they’re sugar-free and low-calorie.
- sweet canes – use this for a festive topping. Crushed peppermint candies work simply as nicely.
- icing – we’re whisking collectively powdered sugar, vanilla extract and almond milk to make a easy icing to drizzle on prime of the baked oatmeal.
Substitutions & Notes
- Oats: Rolled oats work greatest for baked oatmeal and I don’t advocate swapping them for fast oats or metal reduce oats because the liquid ratio and cook dinner time will differ. Should you’re in search of a baked oatmeal recipe that’s made with metal reduce oats I recommend trying out this baked metal reduce oatmeal recipe as an alternative.
- Baking powder: I’ve made baked oatmeal earlier than with out the baking powder and it turned out simply wonderful, so in case you don’t have any available you ought to be wonderful to skip it!
- Flaxseed: Should you don’t have flaxseed available, chia seeds or 1 egg will work instead.
- Almond milk: Any dairy-free or common dairy milk will work for this recipe.
- Applesauce: Should you don’t have applesauce available, 1 ripe mashed banana will work instead.
- Coconut oil: Butter, ghee or any impartial oil like avocado oil or olive oil will work instead.
- Maple syrup: Any liquid sweetener like honey, agave or monk fruit maple syrup will work as an alternative of maple syrup.
- Icing: Be happy to skip the icing in case you favor! You might additionally drizzle this baked oatmeal with melted coconut butter, peanut butter, almond butter or any nut/seed butter!
Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray an 8×8 sq. baking dish with cooking spray. Combine the oats, cocoa powder, baking powder, sea salt, and flaxseed in a big bowl. In the identical bowl add almond milk, applesauce, coconut oil, maple syrup and peppermint extract. Stir collectively, then add chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
Rigorously pour oatmeal combination into the ready baking dish. Scatter extra chocolate on prime, if desired. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or till the oatmeal has set. Take away from the oven and instantly prime with crushed sweet canes. Let cool.
Whereas baked oatmeal is cooling, make icing by combining powdered sugar, vanilla extract and almond milk (begin with 1 teaspoon) in a small bowl. Whisk till all lumps of sugar have dissolved and icing is the thickness you need. You don’t need it to be tremendous thick, but in addition don’t need it to be too runny. Drizzle icing on prime of baked oatmeal, portion and serve.
What to Serve With Baked Oatmeal
This baked oatmeal is the proper addition to your vacation brunch menu! Right here’s what else I’d serve it with:
Retailer & Reheat
This baked oatmeal is a superb meal prep recipe and shops rather well within the fridge or freezer. Right here’s tips on how to retailer and reheat this baked oatmeal:
At room temperature: retailer in an hermetic sealed container for 1-2 days.
Within the fridge: retailer in an hermetic container for 4-5 days.
Within the freezer: retailer in an hermetic, freezer-safe container for as much as 3 months. When freezing, I like to recommend ready so as to add the sweet canes and icing till able to serve. I additionally advocate reducing the oatmeal into parts, wrapping every in plastic wrap and putting the parts in a big freezer bag. The person servings make it simpler for reheating.
To reheat the complete pan of baked oatmeal: cowl with foil and reheat within the oven at 350ºF for about 20 minutes or till heat.
To reheat particular person parts: set oven or toaster oven to 350ºF and bake for 5-10 minutes. You can too reheat within the microwave for 1 minute. As soon as heat, add your sweet canes and icing and revel in!
Extra Baked Oatmeal Recipes
Extra Festive Recipes
You should definitely try all of my baked oatmeal recipes in addition to all the favored oatmeal recipes right here on EBF.
Chocolate Peppermint Baked Oatmeal
This chocolate peppermint baked oatmeal makes for the last word vacation breakfast particularly when topped with crushed sweet canes. It is vegan, gluten-free, naturally sweetened and tremendous straightforward to whip up.
- 2 cups quaint rolled oats
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon floor flaxseed, or 1 egg
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ cup chopped chocolate or chocolate chips, plus extra for topping
- Sweet canes or peppermint candies, crushed for topping
Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray an 8×8 sq. baking dish with cooking spray.
In a big bowl, combine collectively the oats, cocoa powder, baking powder, sea salt and flaxseed.
In the identical bowl add almond milk, applesauce, coconut oil, maple syrup and peppermint extract. Stir collectively, then add chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
Rigorously pour oatmeal combination into the ready baking dish. Scatter extra chocolate on prime, if desired.
Bake for 40-50 minutes, or till the oatmeal has set. Take away from the oven and instantly prime with crushed sweet canes. Let cool.
Whereas baked oatmeal is cooling make icing by combining powdered sugar, vanilla extract and almond milk (begin with 1 teaspoon) in a small bowl. Whisk till all lumps of sugar have dissolved and icing is the thickness you need. You do not need it to be tremendous thick, but in addition don’t desire it to be too runny.
Drizzle icing on prime of baked oatmeal, portion and serve.
Serving: 1/6 recipe Energy: 294kcal Carbohydrates: 53g Protein: 6g Fats: 10g Saturated Fats: 4g Sodium: 339mg Potassium: 248mg Fiber: 8g Sugar: 22g
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please go away a remark and star score on this publish and share on social media utilizing the hashtag #eatingbirdfood. I really like seeing your recipe shares!
This publish might embody affiliate hyperlinks. Thanks on your help.