This wholesome date shake is made with frozen bananas as an alternative of ice cream and requires solely 4 easy substances. It’s dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan.
When you’ve by no means heard of a date shake earlier than you’re in for an actual deal with at this time!
Date shakes are mainly a creamy milkshake made with dates! They originated in Southern California, particularly the Palm Springs area the place date palms develop abundantly.
I’ve by no means truly been to Palm Springs, however given my love for medjool dates I knew that I wanted to create a more healthy home made model the second I heard about them.
As an alternative of creating these shakes with vanilla ice cream I made a decision to make use of banana ice cream. That is a simple swap as a result of frozen bananas work like a allure at creating a chilly, creamy, milkshake-like consistency. In addition they add a little bit additional sweetness to the shake.
After all this date shake is good for dessert, however contemplating it’s made with fruit and almond milk I don’t see why you couldn’t have it for breakfast or a snack – particularly when you’re headed to a exercise. It’s stuffed with vitality and carbs to energy you thru!
Medjool Date Vitamin
I like to recommend utilizing medjool dates for date shakes. They’ve a wealthy, nearly caramel-like style and a tender, chewy texture whereas common dates, generally known as Deglet Noor, are normally smaller and have agency flesh and a candy, delicate taste.
I’ve a whole put up on every little thing you might want to learn about medjool dates if you wish to do a deeper dive, however for a fast look, medjool dates…
- comprise pure sugar, however have a low/medium glycemic index rating resulting from containing quantity of fiber, which helps to gradual the discharge of carbohydrates and provide you with sustained vitality slightly than spiking your blood sugar loopy excessive.
- are naturally low in fats.
- are filled with vitamins like potassium (50% extra potassium by weight than a banana), copper, magnesium, vitamin B6, niacin, calcium, iron and vitamin Okay.
- are wealthy in antioxidants, which may help shield your cells from harm brought on by free radicals. A number of the antioxidants present in medjool dates embody carotenoids, polyphenols, and flavonoids.
- medjool dates – the star of the present! Ensure you get Medjool dates, that are contemporary fruit, not dried! You’ll discover them within the produce part of your grocery retailer. Your dates must be tender, not exhausting. If they’re dry or exhausting, you’ll be able to soak them in water for 10-20 minutes, drain after which use them within the recipe. You should buy medjool dates which can be already pitted or pit them your self (it’s tremendous straightforward). Two manufacturers that I like are Pure Delights and Joolies. You could find Pure Delights within the produce part of most grocery shops (close to the bananas) and Joolies are supplied on Amazon and Thrive Market.
- bananas – we’re utilizing frozen bananas as an alternative of vanilla ice cream for that scrumptious and creamy texture. I’ve a full put up on learn how to freeze bananas when you’re .
- milk – I like utilizing unsweetened almond milk for this date shake, however any milk will work. You may also make your individual almond milk when you’re feeling fancy.
- ice – to thicken up the shake!
Easy methods to Make
This date shake recipe couldn’t get any simpler to make! Simply place your dates and 1/2 cup almond milk right into a high-speed blender and mix till dates have damaged down into small tidbits.
Add frozen banana chunks, remaining almond milk and ice cubes into blender and mix till clean. Add any further almond milk or ice cubes to achieve desired consistency, if wanted.
Pour into glasses, prime with coconut whip cream if utilizing and luxuriate in!
professional tip! In case your dates are dry or exhausting or you do not have a high-speed blender like a Vitamix you'll be able to soak your dates in water for 10-20 minutes to melt them up. Simply drain the water earlier than including the dates to your blender!
Date Shake Variations
- Add different flavors: Vanilla extract, almond extract and chocolate are some nice flavors that might work properly with this date shake.
- Add spices: Strive including some warming spices like cinnamon, cardamom, or nutmeg.
- Add protein: Flip this right into a protein-packed date shake by including a scoop of protein powder, nut butter or Greek yogurt. You would additionally add a handful of seeds or nuts like walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews, chia seeds or hemp seeds.
- Add berries: Mix in some berries, like strawberries or blackberries for added vitamins for this date shake.
- Swap the frozen bananas: Need to make this extra of a real-deal date shake? Swap the frozen bananas along with your favourite vanilla ice cream! Use a dairy-free ice cream to maintain this date shake vegan.
Extra Date Recipes
Extra Shakes to Strive
Place dates and 1/2 cup almond milk right into a excessive powered blender and mix till dates have damaged down into small tid-bits.
Add frozen banana chunks, remaining almond milk and ice cubes into blender and mix till clean. Add further almond milk or ice to achieve desired consistency, if wanted.
Pour into glasses, prime with coconut whip cream (if utilizing) and luxuriate in.
Serving: 1 shake | Energy: 506kcal | Carbohydrates: 127g | Protein: 5g | Fats: 3g | Sodium: 183mg | Potassium: 1683mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 93g
Vitamin data is robotically calculated, so ought to solely be used as an approximation.