Anna Moneymaker/Getty Pictures
Welcome to the NPR collection the place we highlight the individuals and issues making headlines — and the tales behind them.
Rep. Nancy Mace is not satisfied about among the stances her get together is taking. And he or she’s already dealing with blowback for it.
Who’s she? Nancy Mace is a South Carolina congresswoman and Republican.
- A South Carolina native to the Lowcountry area, she was elected to characterize the state’s first congressional district in 2021.
- Based on her web site, Mace’s first job was as a Waffle Home waitress, and he or she finally grew to become the primary lady to graduate from the Corps of Cadets program on the Citadel, a navy faculty in South Carolina.
- Her tenure has targeted on party-aligned points like inflation, taxes, the second modification, the Southern border and the present tradition wars over gender id and inclusivity.
What is the massive deal? Whereas Mace sees eye to eye with many GOP members on different points, reproductive well being and motion on mass shootings have grow to be some extent of competition.
- Mace, who identifies as pro-life, has been a vocal defendant of the proper to decide on as extra GOP legislators push ahead with payments that proceed to limit entry to abortion throughout the nation, calling the efforts “excessive” and stating that the largely unpopular strikes may alienate potential voters and endanger individuals with a uterus.
- On a CNN look earlier in April, Mace referred to as for the FDA to disregard the courtroom ruling suspending the approval of Mifepristone.
- She additionally individually referred to as upon her get together members to take extra motion in response to the growing price of mass shootings, sharing that she and her personal youngsters had been close to the Isle of Palms capturing that befell earlier this month.
- Mace was additionally one of many few GOP members to talk out towards former President Donald Trump’s potential position in Jan. sixth, although that place has waned over time.
Need extra politics? Hearken to Contemplate This discover what the phrase ‘robust on China’ actually means.
What are individuals saying?
Mace on abortion throughout her CNN look:
That is an FDA-approved drug. I help the utilization of FDA-approved medication, even when we would disagree. It is less than us to determine as legislators or because the courtroom system that- whether or not or not that is the proper drug to make use of or not. This is a matter that Republicans have been largely on the incorrect aspect of. We’ve got, during the last 9 months, not proven compassion in the direction of ladies, and that is a kind of points that I’ve tried to guide on as somebody who’s ‘pro-life’ and simply have some widespread sense.
Everyone’s welcome to their very own opinion. I characterize a really purple district that is known as a bellwether for the remainder of the nation. And I can let you know, excess of the overwhelming majority of 60-70% of Individuals are usually not going to agree with this choice. And there are numerous pro-life those that, additionally whereas they’re pro-life, they do not need the federal government to intervene on this radical of a fashion, and the FDA has a rigorous course of.
And through one other TV look:
We have 14 counties in South Carolina that do not have a single OBGYN physician. So if we’ll ban abortion, what are we doing to verify ladies have entry to contraception?
Mace on gun management throughout a FOX Information look:
Each mass capturing, there’s simply silence, and prayers are supplied, Easter baskets are supplied, however no actual options,
Republicans can now not be silent on this situation. And it isn’t concerning the Second Modification. There are many issues that we will be doing in addition to providing prayers and silence,
These sorts of widespread sense issues are all issues that each American on both aspect of the aisle can get behind, however but each time there is a mass capturing, and so they’re growing yearly, each week, we do not say something. We wish to bury our heads within the sand and hope that it goes away. However guess what? It isn’t going away.
So, what now?
- Earlier this week, pro-life protestors gathered outdoors Mace’s South Carolina places of work, calling for her to resign within the wake of her feedback relating to the abortion drug ruling.
- Mace has referred to as for stronger background checks within the buy of firearms along with improved alert techniques.
- It is necessary to notice that Mace has additionally devoted a big portion of her ‘ladies’s rights’ platform to “ladies in sports activities”, co-sponsoring The Safety of Ladies and Ladies in Sports activities Act, which seeks to ban transgender ladies and ladies from collaborating in ladies’ and girls’s faculty sports activities.