I will be frank: I do not belief anybody who works out for enjoyable. I get pleasure from shifting my physique for train disguised as enjoyable issues, like snowboarding or climbing or paddle boarding. However, like, signing as much as run a 5K on Thanksgiving morning or doing a stylish spin class for “enjoyable”? I am going to persist with glad hour, thanks.
So once I obtained the chance to check the Aviron Sturdy Sequence Rower ($2,199) whose complete schtick is gamifiying rowing exercises, I used to be suspicious. Extraordinarily suspicious. As a result of anybody who’s ever been 2,000 meters right into a sweaty rowing session is aware of there’s actually nothing “enjoyable” about it.
Nicely, expensive reader, contemplate me the most recent member of the “exercising is enjoyable” camp. After virtually three months with my Aviron Sturdy rowing machine, I am right here to report it is essentially the most enjoyable machine in the marketplace. Extra on that under. (And, bonus: Aviron is having an end-of-year sale, which implies $300 off rowers.)
What’s the Aviron Rower?
The Aviron Rower is a “sensible rower” akin to the tech-y rowers from Hydrow, Ergatta, and Echelon. This implies it remembers your stats and connects you to digital lessons, permitting you to trace your metrics and progress each time you’re employed out. How Aviron stands out, nonetheless, is the way it “gamifies” rowing. Per the Aviron web site, it “makes use of habit-forming psychology and sport design to maintain you motivated and excited.” From brief, particular person challenges to reside competitors the place you’ll be able to “play” in opposition to different rowers in actual time (and get factors if you happen to win!), Aviron actually goals to make rowing enjoyable. The Sturdy Sequence rower is an air-magnetic resistance hybrid mannequin (these are the several types of rowers—together with those Aviron provides).
The Aviron Sturdy vs Affect Sequence Rower
At the moment, Aviron provides two totally different rowing machines: The Affect Sequence Rower, which can also be an air-magnetic hybrid rower, and the Sturdy Sequence Rower. The principle distinction comes all the way down to its design—the Sturdy Sequence rower is crafted to be extra accessible and comfy for a wider ranger of physique sorts, with options like an adjustable foot relaxation, a low slide rail, a large ergonomic seat, and a weight restrict of 507 kilos. (The Affect’s restrict is 397 kilos.)
Different key variations embrace:
- Storage: The Aviron Affect is a folding sensible rower, whereas the Sturdy is saved upright.
- Display: Each rowers use an excellent high-tech, 22-inch touchscreen show to indicate exercises, stats, and video games. However whereas the Affect’s display screen pivots, the Sturdy’s display screen rotates 270-degrees left, proper, up, and down.
- Fan: Sweaty rowers will benefit from the Sturdy’s cooling “gills” which directs air again at you as whereas row—a characteristic the Affect would not have.
- Value: And, in fact, the value. The Sturdy is $300 greater than then Affect ($2,499 vs. $2,199.) This does not embrace the month-to-month subscription ($29/month) that unlocks lessons, video games, challenges, and extra.
The Aviron Sturdy: My sincere evaluate
After testing my Aviron Sturdy for the previous three months, I love this machine. It is genuinely enjoyable, and that is coming from a lady who would not not imagine in understanding for leisure! There are such a lot of video games, lessons, guided packages, and different entertaining methods to make you neglect you are rowing within the first place.
What I really like
- Its versatility: In case you’re somebody who will get bored on monotonous machines, the Aviron was made for you. There are so. many. packages. It is virtually overwhelming what number of alternative ways you’ll be able to row. For traditionalists, there is a smattering of guided packages, lessons, and coached coaching periods starting from intense cardio and endurance to stress-free stretches and approach coaching. For individuals who wish to make amends for Bravo TV, there’s streaming to just about each app (Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, YouTube, and so forth.), so you’ll be able to monitor your stats whereas watching Actual Housewives. And for individuals who want one thing slightly spicier, there are video games, competitions, reside challenges, scenic rowing routes, extra. There is a sport the place you are a scuba diver and you need to “swim” away from a hungry shark—each stroke places extra distance between you and stated shark. In “Execs vs. Joes,” you’ll be able to race in opposition to a choice of skilled athletes and Olympic rowers to see the way you stack up. Or, you’ll be able to go surfing together with your Aviron pals and problem them to a reside endurance competitors. Tl;dr—I really did not know the way thrilling exercising could possibly be till I obtained an Aviron.
- Its design: The machine itself is modern. Comprised of a steel-and-aluminum physique, it is high-quality and fashionable, which is vital contemplating it is a $2,500 piece of kit. The 22-inch display screen is giant, touchscreen-enabled, Bluetooth-compatible, and high-definition, making it simple to learn your stats, monitor progress, and connect with your Airpods or different gadgets. And it is transportable—there are wheels on the screen-end of the machine, so you’ll be able to carry close to the seat and push/pull it precisely the place you need it to go.
- Its newbie friendliness: Above the rest, I really like how user-friendly and welcoming the Aviron is to newcomers. Like weight-lifting or biking, rowing is extraordinarily technical and takes follow, follow, follow. I contemplate myself a newbie rower and located the machine so useful in studying the fundamentals: How my wrists ought to chargel on the deal with, the way to make the entire rowing movement extra fluid, what metrics like “strokes-per-minute” and “break up” imply. Whereas the video games are enjoyable, the guided packages and instructor-led lessons are key for first-time rowers who wish to discover ways to row appropriately.
Significantly—I really like utilizing this dangerous boy and can inform anybody who listens. Generally when pals come over, the very first thing I say is, “Do you wish to attempt my rowing machine? You will get chased by a shark,” and I am going to make them attempt it simply to allow them to expertise Aviron enjoyable.
What I do not love
- Its top: I did not understand how low my ceilings have been till I obtained this rower and stood it up. (It matches, fortunately, however there was numerous breath-holding as I used to be shifting it round.) The Sturdy is giant as is, however standing it up is even bigger (it measures out at 7 toes tall)—in case you have low ceilings like me, its top is even tougher to overlook. In case you’re tight on area, go for the Affect Sequence rower which will be folded up and is a little more compact.
- Among the graphics are glitchy: Do you bear in mind if you would play Sega as a child and the display screen would randomly buffer? Like, the sound and music would proceed on, however the display screen would freeze in order that the graphics obtained all wonky and caught? That is what occurs with among the graphics. I’ve seen it notably on the shark chasing sport and some of the scenic rowing routes. It isn’t the worst factor on the planet, however noticeable sufficient if you’re attempting to out-row a ravenous Nice White.
- The worth: It is a luxurious sensible rower with a luxurious price ticket. Be ready to shell out practically $2,500 on the machine plus a further $29/month for entry to all of the bells-and-whistles, which is a steep, inaccessible value for many individuals.
Is it price it?
After testing the Aviron rowing machine for the previous three months, I do genuinely assume it is price it. Albeit very costly (and fairly tall) it is changed my $60 a month gymnasium membership as a result of it is so efficient. It is taught me the way to row correctly and successfully—I’ve seen my kind enhance so a lot within the brief time I’ve owned it. And whether or not I am within the temper to sweat my ass off or simply wish to squeeze in a fast stretch, there is a class for each time and place.
Much more, it is proved to me that train would not must be unenjoyable. When you’ll by no means see me join a Turkey Trot, you may positively catch me rowing away from sharks and zombies on my Aviron, one thing I might by no means thought I might do. And that is price each penny.
Wish to be the primary to listen to concerning the newest (and best) SHOP product drops, customized collections, reductions, and extra? Signal as much as have the intel delivered straight to your inbox.
Our editors independently choose these merchandise. Making a purchase order by means of our hyperlinks could earn Nicely+Good a fee.