This vegetarian antipasto salad is simple to make and tremendous flavorful. It’s full of tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, roasted crimson peppers, white beans and mozzarella all tossed in a crimson wine French dressing.
Should you’re on the lookout for the right salad to function an appetizer or facet dish for a dinner look no additional than this antipasto salad!
Antipasto is the normal first course of an Italian meal and usually consists of a wide range of cheeses, cured meats like prosciutto and salami, and marinated greens like olives, artichokes and crimson peppers. The one distinction between antipasto and antipasto salad is that one is served on a mattress of lettuce as an alternative of all of the elements served individually on a platter.
You’ll discover quite a lot of the basic antipasto salad elements on this recipe (like romaine lettuce, roasted crimson peppers, mozzarella, olives and artichoke hearts), however I made a decision to skip the cured meats and as an alternative add white beans to make this recipe vegetarian.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Filled with taste and has a wide range of textures and tastes.
- Tremendous simple to make and may be completely personalized.
- It’s filling sufficient to be served by itself but additionally makes for an awesome facet salad or appetizer.
- All the pieces is chopped into bite-size items so that you’ll get slightly little bit of the whole lot in every chunk!
- It’s gluten-free and vegetarian.
- romaine lettuce – the bottom of this salad! The romaine provides a pleasant crunch and pairs effectively with the remainder of the elements.
- cherry tomatoes – these add a barely candy taste to the salad that I completely love.
- crimson onion – provides only a contact of zest!
- artichoke hearts – this can be a basic addition to antipasto salad. Artichoke hearts may be discovered within the canned vegetable aisle of most grocery shops. Search for hearts which are packed in water or olive oil.
- inexperienced olives – inexperienced olives are an excellent addition to antipasto salad as a result of they’re a supply of wholesome fats and have a powerful, distinct taste that may assist enliven this salad.
- kalamata olives – barely fruity, salty and tangy. These olives will add loads of taste to the salad.
- roasted crimson peppers – provides a slight sweetness to this dish. I used store-bought roasted crimson peppers for comfort, however you’ll be able to simply make your individual. If you’re buying from the shop be certain they’re made with 100% crimson peppers and haven’t any different components.
- pepperoncini peppers – I like the tangy and candy peppery style the pepperoncini peppers add to this salad!
- contemporary mozzarella pearls – contemporary mozzarella’s gentle taste pairs effectively with the number of elements on this salad.
- cannellini beans – provides protein and fiber! Beans aren’t usually present in antipasto salad, however since I skipped the cured meats to make this dish vegetarian I nonetheless wished so as to add some protein.
- crimson wine French dressing – I simply love this crimson wine French dressing and it paired so effectively with all of the elements. It’s tremendous simple to whip up and also you solely want 6 elements… crimson wine vinegar, additional virgin olive oil, dijon mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- contemporary basil – for serving! Different contemporary herbs like oregano or dill can be scrumptious.
Substitutions & Variations
This salad is totally customizable! Listed below are some ideas for variations and substitutions:
- Change up the greens – when you’re not a fan of romaine, be happy to make use of your favourite lettuce or leafy inexperienced as an alternative. Iceberg lettuce or leaf lettuce would in all probability be my subsequent selection.
- Use totally different veggies – have totally different veggies available? Toss them in!
- Swap the cheese – I like the contemporary mozzarella on this salad, however another good choices are provolone cheese, feta cheese, pecorino romano or parmesan cheese.
- Make this dairy-free and vegan – merely skip the mozzarella (or use a vegan choice).
- Add extra protein – chop up some cured meats and add that in for a extra conventional antipasto salad! Genoa salami, prosciutto, pepperoni and Parma ham are all basic elements.
- Change up the dressing – craving a distinct dressing? This white balsamic French dressing, do-it-yourself Italian dressing or lemon French dressing dressing can be scrumptious on this salad!
How one can Make
Make dressing: Whisk collectively all of the dressing elements in a small bowl till mixed. Or add all elements to a mason jar and shake. Style and add extra salt & pepper if wanted.
Mix elements: Add all of the salad elements to a big bowl and toss to mix. Portion salad into bowls for serving. You possibly can drizzle the dressing over the salad slowly and add extra if desired. Season with any extra salt and pepper to style and garnish with some contemporary basil. Serve at room temperature or barely chilled and luxuriate in!
How one can Serve
- As a platter: One enjoyable method to serve this in style salad is as a platter. You are able to do this on a big plate or slicing board. Place the romaine first because the mattress, then unfold out all of the elements into separate sections. This enables visitors to construct their very own salad as an alternative of serving it as one massive combine.
- With bread: Serve this salad with some bread (I like crusty sourdough bread) for the chance to create small sandwiches. Or serve with crackers (like these almond flour crackers) because the salad acts because the dip.
- Combined: Merely convey all of the elements to a giant bowl and blend the whole lot collectively for one massive antipasto salad that folks can serve themselves from.
How one can Retailer Leftovers
This salad is greatest served straight away, however when you have leftovers you’ll be able to retailer them in an hermetic sealed container for 2-3 days within the fridge.
I really useful storing the salad and dressing in separate containers because the French dressing will make the lettuce soggy. Additionally remember that canned elements like artichoke hearts, roasted crimson peppers and olives will even make the lettuce barely soggy after sitting for just a few days.
Extra Salad Recipes to Strive
Be sure you take a look at the total assortment of salad recipes on EBF!
This vegetarian antipasto salad is simple to make and tremendous flavorful. It is full of tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, roasted crimson peppers, white beans and mozzarella all tossed in a crimson wine French dressing.
- 1 massive head romaine lettuce, chopped (about 6-8 cups)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup crimson onion, chopped
- 1 cup quartered artichoke hearts, drained and patted dry
- ½ cup inexperienced olives, halved
- ½ cup kalamata olives, halved
- ½ cup roasted crimson peppers, chopped, drained and patted dry
- ¼ cup Pepperoncini peppers, finely chopped, drained and patted dry
- 8 oz contemporary mozzarella balls, halved
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Crimson wine French dressing
- Recent basil, for serving
Whisk collectively all dressing elements in a small bowl till mixed. Or add all elements right into a mason jar and shake to mix. Style and add extra salt and pepper if wanted.
Add all salad elements to a big bowl and toss to mix.
Portion salad into bowls for serving. You possibly can drizzle the dressing over the salad (begin with half and add extra as desired), style and add extra dressing if desired. Season with extra salt and pepper, to style. Sprinkle with contemporary basil and serve.
Serving: 1/6 recipe Energy: 305kcal Carbohydrates: 20g Protein: 12g Fats: 21g Saturated Fats: 4g Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g Monounsaturated Fats: 8g Ldl cholesterol: 13mg Sodium: 813mg Potassium: 513mg Fiber: 6g Sugar: 3g
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please depart a remark and star score on this submit and share on social media utilizing the hashtag #eatingbirdfood. I like seeing your recipe shares!
This submit might embrace affiliate hyperlinks. Thanks on your help.